Basic Sugar Cookie Recipe for Cut out Cookies, and Cookie Pops
- Sift together flour, baking powder, add salt, set aside.
- In a small dish whisk together egg and vanilla extract, set aside.
- In a mixing bowl cream together room temperature butter and sugar, about 5 minutes, scrape the bowl twice. Butter and should should be light and fluffy.
- Gradually add vanilla egg mixture, beating anywhere from 30 seconds to minute until well mixed in.
- Now gradually in 3 additions add flour. Lower the speed of your mixer to low. Scrape the bowl well after the last addition and beat just until flour is combined.
- Scrape the cookie dough into a large bowl, and using your hand knead it for about 30 to 60 seconds, until dough comes together.
- Wrap the dough in a plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight(8hours) or minimum 4hours.
- Preheat oven to 375F(190C)
- Divide cookie dough in half. Roll one half of the cookie dough into about 1/2 inch thick, between 2 pieces of parchment paper using rolling guides.(3 painter’s sticks glued together on each side, or 2 pieces of about 1/2inch molding.
- Cut out as many cookies as you can. Place the cookies on a light colored baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Place the cookie stick inside. Chill the cut outs in the fridge for about 15 minutes, or in the freezer 8 minutes.
- Bake for 9-12minutes, depending on the oven, turn the sheet once half way through the baking.
- Let the cooking cool on the baking sheet for 5-7 minutes, transfer carefully to cooling rack.
- Store in the airtight container for up to 2 weeks or freeze undecorated cookies between pieces of wax paper in a large freeze safe container, for up to 2 months.
- Decorate cookies as desired with royal icing or other medium that you use.
Cookies on a stick are perfect for creating cookie arrangements. Here is the one I made a while ago.To stand my cookies like this I used a simple white vase and a florist foam that I cut to fit into the vase. I then used a piece of fabric and wrapped the foam in it and put it in the vase. Then I arranged the cookies on the sticks to form a flower bouquet