I made super cute decorated Strawberry Cookies! These simple cut-out strawberry cookies are decorated with delicious strawberry flavored royal icing.
DECORATED STRAWBERRY COOKIES
In addition to strawberry shaped cookies I also used strawberry flavored royal icing to decorate.
FRESH STRAWBERRY ROYAL ICING
Making Fresh Strawberry Royal Icing is pretty simple. Use my Small Batch Royal Icing Recipe. In place of water use strained fresh strawberry puree. It’s so delicious. Strawberry royal icing is naturally pastel pink. For deeper hues color it with pink and red gel food colors.
Flood the cookie with pinkish red 15 second consistency royal icing. Smooth the icing with a needle tool. Then immediately pipe tear drop shapes with deep red 15 second consistency royal icing. Let the icing crust for several hours.
After, pipe the stem and leaves with green 15 second royal icing. First make the outline then flood the inside. Don’t forget to use a needle tool to shape the icing while wet.
Pipe the yellow seeds on top of the deep red spots. To make the the seeds I used yellow piping consistency royal icing.
I’M NEW TO COOKIE DECORATING, WHAT IS PIPING CONSISTENCY?
If you are not sure how to thin royal icing be sure to check out my Guide to Royal Icing Consistency. (with video samples)
Next we are going decorate leaves cookies. To make leaf cookies I used a cutter from a fondant cutter set. First step is to trace the pointy leaf design onto a cookie with a template and edible marker.
Decorate leaf cookie in sections with 20 second consistency icing. Use different shades of green and yellow icing. Flood every other section and let the icing crust. After that continue flooding sections between. Let icing crust again. Ad then pipe a center line with a pink piping royal icing consistency.
CUTE COOKIE PACKAGING
Decorated cookies make for tasty gifts. To package cookies you can use berry baskets. Line a basket with a pretty napkin. Arrange decorated strawberry cookies in the basket. Nest the basket into a clear cellophane bag. Tie with a ribbon or raffia.
TO MAKE STRAWBERRY COOKIES YOU NEED
- Cut-Out Cookie Recipes : Sugar Cookies, Vegan Cookies, Gluten Free Cookies, Chocolate Cookies, Oatmeal Decorating Cookies, Honey Cookies, Gingerbread
- Royal Icing : Fresh Lemon Royal Icing, Vegan Royal Icing
- Cookie Cutters : Leaf Cutter ( I used the largest from the set), Strawberry Cutter is about 2 inches across, larger strawberry cutter from Ann Clark
- Food Colors : electric pink, red, yellow, leaf green, mint, avocado
- Piping Bags
- Needle Tool
- PACKAGING MATERIALS
- Berry Baskets
- Gingham Napkins ( check your local Dollar Store)
- USEFUL TUTORIALS
- Guide to Royal Icing Consistency (with video and samples)
- How to Freeze Royal Icing
- Royal Icing FAQ
ROYAL ICING CONSISTENCIES
- Decorated Strawberry Cookies
- Pinkish Red (electric pink and super red), Deep Red- 15 second consistency
- Yellow – piping consistency
- Leaf Green – 20 second consistency
- Leaf Cookies
- 3 shade of Green (leaf, mint, avocado), Yellow – 20 second consistency
- Electric Pink – piping consistency
PIN IT for later
I updated this post from 2013 with more step by step photos, written text and a video.
This post contains amazon affiliate links that earn me a small commission, at no cost to you. I only recommend products that I use and love. Learn more about my affiliate policy here.