Why Par-Cooking Potatoes makes crispier roasted potatoes ?
While you simmer peeled, sliced, cut up potatoes in the water, starch and sugar from potatoes is drawn to the surface of the potatoes and then in the oven sugar and starch will create a nice crisp shell around the potatoes.
Heart Shaped Potatoes
I was feeling hearty and made heart shaped roasted potatoes. By all means you don’t have to do this,(it takes some time *) though they are so cute, would be perfect for Valentine’s Day Dinner. Normally I just cut potatoes into cubes to save time.
*You can also make cubes and only only few heart ones, one or 2 hearts will add a little flare to your dinner plate too, doesn’t have to be the whole bunch of hearts. Little love goes a long way.
Roasted Heart Potatoes are perfect for Valentine’s Day
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 to 2 tsp kosher salt
- freshly ground pepper
- 2 tsp caraway seeds
- 1/2 tsp paprika optional
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- Line baking sheet with aluminum foil, spray with non-stick spray or brush with oil.
Fill a pot with about 1quart -2quarts of water, add 1tbl salt, bring to boil, then reduce heat to gentle simmer.
- In the meantime peel potatoes, slice them, using a small metal cookie cutter cut out as many hearts as you can. Reserve scraps in water, you can also par-cook scraps or make mashed potatoes
Cook potatoes in the simmering water for 3 minutes, drain potatoes and let cool slightly.
- Combine all the ingredients for the marinade : olive oil, salt, caraway seed, pepper, paprika.
- Pour marinade over potatoes, stir and let sit for 5 minutes.
- Spread marinaded potatoes evenly onto the baking sheet.
Roast potatoes for 20-25 minutes, in halftime using an off set silicone spatula carefully turn the potatoes (don't forget to use oven mittens when handling hot baking sheet!).
- If your oven has a broiler, broil potatoes for additional 5 minutes or until they are golden on brown.
You can omit caraway seed and use rosemary, or other herbs you like. You can also add garlic, just make sure you add the garlic no more than 1 minute before you plan to take the potatoes out of the oven, otherwise garlic can burn and it will become bitter.
I also like to roast potatoes with couple of bay leaves and peppercorn, adding garlic at the end. That is my dad's recipe.