Chicken paprikash is a quick easy meal to prepare on week nights when you are in a hurry to get food on the table. Using the boneless chicken breasts cuts down on the cooking time and it takes about 30 minutes from start to finish to prepare this delicious meal.
EASY CHICKEN PAPRIKASH
Using the boneless chicken breasts cuts down on the cooking time and it takes about 30 minutes from start to finish to prepare this delicious meal. And you can serve it with rice, pasta or if you are feeling adventurous, you can make homemade flour dumplings/ Spaetzle.
Easy Chicken Paprikash
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 cup onion, finely diced diced
- 1 lb chicken breast, boneless (1/2 kg)
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground pepper
- 1 ½ tbsp all-purpose
- 2 tsp sweet red paprika ( I use Hungarian Sweet Paprika)
- 1 1/2 cup whipping cream (360 ml) See notes for a substitute
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tsp freshly squeezed lemon juice or 1/4 cup sour cream (both are optional)
- Cut chicken breast into chunks and season meat with 1/2 tsp salt and 1/4 tsp pepper. Set aside.
- Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in the skillet, add diced onion (1 medium size onion), cook on medium heat until soft and translucent, about 5-8minutes.
- Add meat cubes, increase temperature to medium-high heat, stir frequently, and cook for 2-3 minutes until most of the meat turns white. Add flour ( 1 ½ tablespoons ) and cook, stirring for 30 seconds.Remove the pot from the heat. Let it cool for 30 seconds, then stir in paprika (2 teaspoons). Then pour in warm cream ( 1 cup and 1/2 cup, 360 ml), and add bay leaves (2 leaves). Bring to a simmer and cook for about 8-10 minutes. The sauce will thicken as it cooks. Taste. Season as desired with salt and pepper. Remove from the heat and add 1 teaspoon freshly squeezed lemon juice or 1/4 cup sour cream (optional, but highly recommended)
- Remove from the heat, let sit for 30 seconds. Stir in paprika and flour, season again with pepper and salt.
- Pour in cream stir. Add bay leaves. Bring to simmer, simmer for about 8-10 minutes. Liquid will thicken. Add 1 teaspoon freshly squeezed lemon juice or 1/4 cup of sour cream, stir well, and remove bay leaves.
- Serve chicken paprikash with rice, pasta, or flour dumplings (Spaetzle Recipe)
- More Delicious Chicken Recipes
- Herbed Honey Lemon Chicken
- Chicken Bacon Meatballs
- Whole Roasted Chicken via Recipe Tin Eats
- Roasted Chicken Green Bean Sandwiches
This recipe was originally published on April 5th, 2014. On November 6th, 2023 I updated this recipe with new pictures and a recipe card.