I’m sharing How to Color Swiss Buttercream with gel food colors.
Swiss Buttercream is known for being notoriously difficult to color. Especially if you want to achieve beautiful bright and rich tones.
Have you ever tried to color Swiss Buttercream with gel food colors? If you have then you’d probably ran into the same problem I had encountered over 7 years ago.
I remember I was trying to color Swiss Meringue Buttercream with leaf green coloring and though I was getting green it wasn’t bright green. It was muted and no matter how much gel color I added it only became worse.
Buttercream was turning into a dull dark green mess with tiny little dark beads. I didn’t understand why it was happening.
Then, just by a chance I found out that heat can remedy this issue. How do I mean? It’s quite simple really.
SWISS BUTTERCREAM CAKES
Before I jump into a tutorial here are few Swiss Buttercream Cakes I made in the past. I employed the heat coloring method to create rainbow, bright purple, pastel and even black buttercream.
- Rainbow Scratch Art Flower Cake
- Pumpkin Wreath Cake
- Mason Jar Cake
- Willy Wonka Giant Cupcake Cake
- Monarch Butterfly
COLOR SWISS BUTTERCREAM WITH GEL FOOD COLORS
- Start with a room temperature Swiss Buttercream.
- Take about 1/4 cup of buttercream and add gel food coloring.
- Mix well, notice how color is dull and not bright.
- Microwave 1/4 cup of dull green buttercream on high for 5-8 seconds. Buttercream will be melted, don’t panic.
- Quickly and thoroughly mix it. You’ll notice color will be deeper and brighter. Pour microwaved portion into the uncolored buttercream and mix it well.
- If needed repeat this step. Until desired color is achieved.
- Purple buttercream can be tricky to make with ready to use purple food coloring.
- I use Electric Pink and Sky Blue Americolor Gels to make purple icing.
- Once you achieve the color you need let the buttercream rest for a little bit. This helps to develop the color further.
- If buttercream appears too soft refrigerate for 30 minutes.
TO COLOR SWISS BUTTERCREAM YOU NEED
This post containsThis post contains Amazon affiliate links that earn me a small commission, at no cost to you. I only recommend products that I use and love. Learn more about my affiliate policy here.