Delicious Honey Cookies or Medovniky as we call them in Slovakia are popular all year round. Honey Cookies are gingerbread style cookies, flavored with honey and seasoned with spices.
MIXING COOKIE DOUGH
Makes about 24 medium size cookies. Popular for holidays and year round.
- 400 grams flour 3 1/3 cups flour
- 160 grams powdered sugar / 1 1/2 cup +1tbl sifted powdered sugar
- 70 grams room temperature butter / 5tbl butter
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 3 tbl honey
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon Saigon
- 1/2 tsp ground star anise
- 1/8 tsp to 1/4tsp cloves
- 1/8 tsp to 1/4tspginger
- pinch of salt
- 1 egg optional
- In a medium bowl, sift flour, baking soda, spices, salt
Cream room temperature butter and powdered sugar. Beat till fluffy, add eggs, one at a time. Then Gradually pour it honey and vanilla extract. Beat well.
On low speed and gradually add flour mix. Beat till combined. Invert dough onto a lightly floured surface and knead for a minute. If dough appears too sticky add little more flour. Wrap in a plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight.
- Preheat oven to 195-200C (390F)
- Line your cookie sheets with parchment paper.
Roll the dough between 2 pieces of parchment paper or use Doug EZ system. if needed very lightly flour your bottom parchment paper, roll the dough into approximately 3-5 mm thick (3/16 inch). For even thickness use rolling guides.
Cut out cookies and transfer onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
Bake cookies of 1-3 inches for 6-8 minutes
Larger cookies may take little longer to bake
Try to bake smaller shapes and larger shapes separately, smaller shapes will be baked before larger ones.
Remove from the oven, let cool for couple minuter on the baking sheet and then transfer to a cooling rack
- Whisk the the egg well, and then strain the egg wash to remove any egg bits.
To create shiny finish on cookies, brush the cookie right after you take them of the oven while they are still hot. Be sure not to add too much egg wash as it can drip down the sides and under the cookies.
If using this recipe to make a gingerbread house use 1/4 tsp baking powder.