I’m finally sharing my easy to make homemade Gluten Free Sugar Cookies.
This Gluten Free Sugar Cookie recipe is perfect for making cut out cookies. Cookies don’t spread during baking. They have a delicious melt in your mouth texture and are perfect for cookie decorating.
GLUTEN FREE CUT OUT SUGAR COOKIES
I used readily available measure for measure flour mix to make gluten free sugar cookies. And in addition to King Arthur Gluten Free Measure for Measure Flour I also used potato starch.
If you don’t have a potato starch you can use gluten free cornstarch instead.
Why do you add extra starch?
Starch makes for a fluffier, softer texture. I find it also amends the gritty texture.
MAKE THE GLUTEN FREE COOKIE DOUGH
Start with the dry ingredients. Sift or whisk well Gluten Free Flour, starch, baking powder and salt.
In a small bowl whisk together egg, honey, vanilla extract and almond extract. If you don’t have almond extract and don’t like it use vanilla or lemon instead.
Cream room temperature with sugar until fluffy. About 2-3 minutes. Gradually beat in egg mixture, make sure to add all of the honey. Beat until well combined, another 1-2 minutes.
Gradually on low speed and in 3 additions beat in flour. Once the dough is moisten through, beat on speed for 15-20 seconds.
Gather dough into a ball. Flatten it into a disk and wrap in a clear plastic wrap. Be sure to chill the dough for at least 4 hours. I prefer to let it rest overnight and even for 2 days. I find resting of gluten free cookie dough is very important.
Why do I need to chill the cookie dough?
Chilling and resting of the dough is important for the texture development. Flour gets properly hydrated and as a result you are left with melt in your mouth cookie texture.
ROLL THE COOKIE DOUGH
Lightly dust work surface with potato starch. Roll the cookie dough into ¼ inch thick. Cut out desired shapes. Transfer cookies onto a baking sheet and chill for 10 minutes.
How big can I make the Gluten Free cookies?
Use cutters max 3.25 inch across or smaller.
Bake cookies in the preheated oven at 335F for 10 minutes. Bottoms should be lightly brown edges little crispy. Let cool for 5 minutes on a baking sheet. Then transfer cookies onto a cooling rack to cool completely.
EASY DECORATING WITH A DIPPING METHOD
ROYAL ICING CONSISTENCY
- Color icing with gel food colors.
- Thin your royal icing to 10 second consistency royal icing.
- Cover icing with a damp kitchen towel and let sit for 10 minutes.
- Bubbles formed while mixing will raise to the top.
- Use a toothpick to pop the air bubbles. Or bang the bowl with the icing on the counter and watch the bubbles pop.
- Be sure to cover bowl with icing with a damp towel to prevent icing from crusting.
- To white 10 second consistency royal icing add contrasting colors. I used light and deep pink.
- Using a toothpick to swirl the colors.
DIPPING ICING METHOD
- Holding the cookie by the edges, place it on top of the icing.
- Gently wobble the cookie, or turn it gently. This ensures that icing touches the edges and covers the whole surface of the cookie.
- Carefully lift up the cookie from the icing. At first there is a slight resistance.
- Once you move the cookie above the icing surface let it drip.
- Then turn it carefully and place it on a flat firm surface and give it a little shake to smooth the icing.
- Notice bubbles with rise to the top. Pop them with a needle tool.
- Let icing dry.
TO MAKE MARBLED GLUTEN FREE SUGAR COOKIES YOU NEED
- Gluten Free Cookie Recipe
- Royal Icing, Vegan Royal Icing
- Gluten Free Measure for Measure Flour
- My Favorite Cookie Decorating Tools
- Cookie Cutters I use
- Baking Tools
- Dough EZ Mat
- Food Colors
- Needle Tool
- Spray Bottle – to thin royal icing
- USEFUL TUTORIALS
- Gluten Free Baking Tips
- Royal Icing FAQ
- How to Freeze Royal Icing
- Royal Icing Butterflies
- Vegan Sugar Cookies
Makes about 30 cookies (using a 2.5 inch cutter)
- 6 tbsp room temperature unsalted butter
- ½ cup sugar
- 1 ¼ cup Gluten Free Flour I used King Arthur Measure for Measure Gluten Free Flour
- ¼ cup potato starch Substitute : gluten free cornstarch
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1 egg
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp almond extract Susbtitute : vanilla, lemon
- Whisk together GF flour(1 1/4 cup ), potato starch(1/4cup), baking powder(1/4tsp) and salt(1/8tsp). Set aside.
- In a small dish whisk together egg (1), honey(1tbsp), vanilla extract(1 1/2tsp) and almond extract(1/2tsp).
- In a bowl cream room temperature butter(6tbl) and sugar(1/2cup) until pale in color and fluffy, about 3-4 minutes.
- Gradually beat wet ingredients into the butter mixture. Beat well. About 2 minutes.
In 3 additions beat in dry ingredients. Once dough is moisten through, beat for additional 20 seconds. Gather dough into ball and flatten it into a disk. Wrap in a plastic wrap. Refrigerate for 8 hours. (minimum 4 hours)
Preheat oven to 335F. Roll the dough between 2 sheets of parchment or use a Silicone Mat. (I use DoughEZ rolling mat). Dust your work surface with little bit of potato starch. Using ¼inch rolling guides, roll out the dough. Cut out shapes and transfer them onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Chill the cookies for 10 minutes. Bake at 335F for 10 minutes.
Remove from the oven, let cool for 5 minutes and then transfer cookies onto a cooling rack.
- Store in an airtight container for up to a week. Decorate with icing as desired.
PIN IT for later
This post contains amazon affiliate links that earn me a small commission, at no cost to you. I only recommend products that I use and love. Learn more about my affiliate policy here.