This sweet yeast Peach Slab Bread is made using my favorite sweet bread dough and fresh local peaches. Growing up slab cakes and breads were a staple in my grandmother’s kitchen. They are easy and fast to make and can feed a crowd.
PEACH SLAB BREAD
Slab style cakes, brownies, pies and breads are delicious. They are great to make when you want to feed a crowd and only have a little time to spare. My grandmother made traditional Kolache, and slab breads with homemade canned or seasonal fruits all year long.
- Sweet Bread Dough
- Streusel Topping : butter, flour, sugar
- Fresh Peach Topping : peaches, raw sugar, corn starch, cinnamon
SWEET BREAD DOUGH
To make this sweet peach bread I used my easy to make Sweet Bread Dough Recipe. Ingredients for the sweet bread dough are : flour, granulated sugar, egg yolks, butter, dry yeast, vanilla extract and pinch of salt. Prepare the yeast dough following my recipe with a video tutorial.
Streusel topping is one of my favorite toppings of all time. My basic streusel consists of flour, sugar (either granulated or powdered sugar) and butter.
I use my hands to made streusel topping. In a bowl combine sugar and flour, add small pieces of butter. Work butter in to the dry ingredients. I usually just press pieces of butter between my fingers, working it into the dry ingredients. Till you have a yummy crumbling mixture. Set aside.
On most days I like to keep it plain but you can also flavor it with cinnamon or use some vanilla sugar.
Wash fresh ripe peaches. Remove the pits and slice peaches to about 1/4 inch thick or so. Stir in juice of one lemon juice, raw sugar, corn starch and cinnamon.
Prepare large rimmed baking sheet. Spray the baking sheet with nonstick spray and line with with parchment paper.
Prepare Sweet Bread Dough, let it rest for 10 minutes. 10 of rest helps to relax the dough and it’s easier to roll it out.
Roll the yeast bread dough into the prepared rimmed baking sheet.
Layer seasoned peach topping on the yeast dough. Sprinkle with additional raw sugar.
Generously dust the peach slab bread with streusel topping. Let rise in a draft free spot for 45 minutes to an hour.
Bake in the preheated oven at 350F for 20-22 minutes ,until golden brown. I have to admit I think I baked mine for a minute or 2 too long.
Let the peach slab bread cool. Slide it out from the pan onto a cutting board. Slice it into bars with serrated knife and serve.
OTHER SLAB BREAD TOPPINGS
- Apricots, streusel, chopped walnuts
- Cheese – combine cheese with eggs, and sugar, use riccota or farmer’s cheese (make your own Farmer’s Cheese). Use cheese as bottom layer and top it with fruit
- Plums and poppy seed topping
- Salted Sour Cream combined with Whipping cream
- Strawberries, Raspberries, Blueberries and streusel topping
- Sweetened Cheese dusted with cocoa mixed with sugar
- Plum or Peach Lekvar topped with cheese topping, or poppy seeds, or ground nuts topping
Yeast slab breads can be frozen for up to 3 months. Layer bars into a freeze safe container between parchment paper. Let it defrost on the counter.
TO MAKE PEACH SLAB BREAD YOU NEED
MORE YEAST BREAD RECIPES :
- Berry Bread Tarts
- Classic Pretzel Bites
- Hamburger Potato Buns
- Tomato Pretzels
- Best Hot Dog Buns
- Flaky Bacon Biscuits
- Braided Cinnamon Bread Star
- Cinnamon Rolls with Vanilla Bean Glaze
- Sweet Bread Dough
Peach Slab Bread
- 1 Sweet Bread Dough (recipe is posted on the blog, look up Sweet Bread Dough, link is also shared in the blog post)
- 10 ripe peaches
- 1/2 cup raw sugar, granulated sugar, brown sugar divided 1/4 cup and 1/4 cup
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 lemon, juice of one lemon
- 2 tbsp corn starch
- 1 1/2 tbsp butter
- 1/3 cup flour
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar or brown sugar
Sweet Bread Dough
- Prepare Sweet Bread dough using my recipe. Cover the dough and let it rest for 10 minutes before rolling it out onto a baking sheet. Resting relaxes the dough and it's easier to roll out.
- Wash peaches ( 10 peaches ), remove the pit and slice them to about 1/4 inch thick.
- Add sliced peaches into a bowl, stir in lemon juice (juice of one lemon), raw sugar ( 1/4 cup), corn starch (2tbsp) and cinnamon (1/4tsp).
- In a bowl stir flour (1/3 cup) and sugar (1/3 cup). Add small piece of butter and using your hand work the butter into the dry ingredients. I usually press butter between my fingers working it into dry ingredients. Until mixture resemble cake crumbs. Set aside.
Peach Slab Bread Assembly
- Spray rimmed baking sheet with nonstick spray an line it with a parchment. Place sweet bread dough onto the baking sheet. Roll it out with a small rolling pin. Use yours hand to stretch it out all the way to the edges.
- Layer peaches onto the dough. Sprinkle with additional raw sugar (1/4 cup). Generously dust with prepared streusel.
- Let rise in a draft free, warm place, for 45-60 minutes.
- Bake in the preheated oven at 350 F for 20-22 minutes, until golden brown. Let cool for 10 minutes. Slide the bread out onto the cutting board and let cool completely. Slice into bars and serve.
- Bread can be also frozen, for up to 3 months.
CAN I USE DIFFERENT FRUIT ?Of course, use fresh seasonal fruit of your choice.
CAN I USE CHEESE TOPPING ?Yes, sure you can. To cover a whole slab bread use about 3 cups of ricotta cheese, season it with sugar and use 2 whole eggs and 1/2 tsp vanilla extract. Spread the cheese on the top and then layer fruit on the top. Or omit fruit and generously sprinkle cheese with cocoa powder mixed with powdered sugar, or cinnamon. It’s amazing.
PIN IT for later
This post contains Amazon affiliate links that earn me a small commission, at no cost to you. I only recommend products that I use and love. Learn more about my affiliate policy here.