This Sweet Bread Dough is my favorite to use when I make Kolache, Sweet Filled Rolls, Poppy Seed Roll, Cinnamon Rolls, Walnut Crescents, Peach Bread and more.
This is my updated recipe from 2010.
SWEET BREAD DOUGH RECIPE
Recipe is really easy to make. This Sweet Bread Dough is really easy to work with. It shapes nicely and bakes into perfection. Rolls stay soft and delicious.
Baked sweet bread can be also frozen and keeps well in the freezer for up to 2 months.
Ingredients are basic : flour, sugar, salt, unsalted melted butter, egg yolks, dry yeast and vanilla extract.
- Melt butter. If it’s too hot let it cool slightly. Then whisk in egg yolks, an vanilla extract.
I use dry yeast.
- Into a medium bowl pour warm milk (not hot).
- Add a pinch of sugar or honey, dry yeast and a tablespoon of flour.
- Whisk well and let sit for 5-10 minutes.
- Notice last image in the bottom right corner. That’s what you are looking for. Foamy yeast.
- Into a bowl of your stand mixer add flour, sugar, and salt. Whisk well.
- Add all the wet ingredients and stir with a spoon until well combined.
- Use a hook attachment to knead the dough.
- I usually knead if for at 5 to 10 minutes.
- Dump the dough onto a lightly floured work surface and knead for a minute. Shape the dough into a ball.
- This dough doesn’t require 1st proof.
- You can start shaping buns and roll right away.
- Once you have buns filled and shaped, place them onto a baking sheet lined with parchment.
- Cover with a damp paper towel and let rise in a draft free spot for 50-60 minutes.
- Brush with egg wash, sprinkles with sugar etc.
- Bake at 350F, until buns are golden.
Bake at 350F, 15-20 minutes, until golden brown around the edges
- 4cups all purpose flour (500grams)
- 5 tsp dry yeast
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar (100grams)
- 1 cup warm milk (about 250ml)
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter 115grams,melted, cooled
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 tsp vanilla
- pinch of salt
Melt butter (1stick,115grams). If butter is hot, let it cool slightly. Into the melted butter whisk egg yolks (2), vanilla extract (1tsp), set aside.
In a small bowl whisk together warm milk (1cup/250ml), sugar (1/4tsp), dry yeast (5tsp) and flour (1tbsp). Let sit for 5-10 minutes, or until foamy.
Into a bowl of your stand mixer add flour (4cups/500grams), granulated sugar (1/2cup/100 grams) and a pinch of salt. Whisk well.
Into the dry ingredients add all of the wet ingredients : yeast mixture and butter egg mixture. With a spatula stir until well until sticky dough is formed.
Knead with a hook attachment until dough is smooth, about 5 to 10 minutes.
If the dough appears too dry, add 1tbsp warm water or milk
If the dough is appears too wet, add 1tbsp flour.
Dumb the dough onto a lightly floured surface and continue kneading for 1 minute until it comes into a ball.
Fill and shape buns, rolls, small bread tarts. Cover with a damp paper towel and let rise for 50 minutes to an hour.
Bake in the preheated oven at 350F, until golden.
Can I make the dough ahead of time?
Yes, you can prepare the dough. Place it into a lightly greased bowl. Cover with a plastic wrap and a kitchen towel and place it into the fridge overnight. Take it out of the fridge next morning, shape the buns. Let them rise in a warm, draft free place and bake.
Alternatively you can shape the buns, cover them, place them in the fridge overnight. Next day, take them out, remove the cover, let them come to room temperature and rise and bake them off.
You can shape the buns, cover them and place them into the fridge to rise overnight. Let them come to room temperature and
Can I freeze baked rolls?
Yes, you can freeze roll for up a 2 months.
PIN IT for later
TO MAKE SWEET BREAD DOUGH YOU NEED
- Sweet Bread Dough
- My Favorite Baking Tools – all the tools can be found in my shop, or otherwise stated.
- Mixing Bowls
This post contains affiliate links that earn me a small commission, at no cost to you. I only recommend products that I use and love. Learn more about my affiliate policy here.