We planted nearly 1000 onions this year! Yes I know 1000 is a big number. I’m not sure how many will end up harvesting but it is going to be some 3 digit number for sure! We love onions.
Onion Rosemary Breadsticks
1 cup warm water
2tsp active dry yeast
1tbl granulated sugar
5tbl olive oil
3/4tsp kosher salt
1/4tsp fresh ground black pepper
2tbl fresh chopped rosemary
1cup finely diced onion sauteed in 1tbl olive oil
3 1/2 cup all purpose flour
1/4cup olive oil or vegetable oil
2 garlic cloves
pretzel salt, poppy seed, sesame seeds
- Sautee onion in 1tbl olive oil, until translucent and until they it just starts to get golden brown. Let cool for 10 minutes.
- Into a bowl pour warm water, add sugar, yeast, honey and molasses, stir well. Add 1/2 flour and stir again. Let the sponge sit for 10 minutes.
- Prepare garlic oil, stir pressed garlic cloves into 1/4 olive oil, set aside.
- Into the sponge add olive oil, rosemary, cooled onion, salt, pepper, also add about 1/2 of the remaining flour. Using paddle attachment stir until all the ingredients are combined.
- Switch the paddle attachment for the hook.
- Add remaining flour and knead until dough starts to come together.
- Turn the dough onto a lightly floured surface, knead until it forms a ball.
- Place the dough into an lightly oiled bowl, cover with plastic wrap.
- Let rise in a warm spot for 1 1/2 hours.(watch the video below and learn a trick on how to rise the dough in the oven)
- Once the dough has risen, deflate it and turn it out onto a cutting board/work surface. Knead it for a minute.
- Divide dough into small pieces.
- Shape each piece into a long rope. Alternatively, roll the dough thin(1/8inch thick) directly on a baking sheet lined with a parchment paper, take a pizza wheel and cut into long thin strips.
- Cover with damp paper towel and let rise for 30 minutes. At this time also preheat oven to 400F.
- Brush each breadstick with garlic olive oil.
- Sprinkle with your choice of toppings.
- Bake for 10 minutes or until golden brown.
- Serve. You can also freeze them and reheat them in the oven.
- They are great with salads, I enjoyed them with Green Bean Casserole I made last week.
Onion Rosemary Breadsticks Video Tutorial