Today I’m going to show how to make Candy Corn Peppermint Patties. I’ve been making homemade peppermint patties for years. Especially around the Holidays. I make them ahead of time and give them away as part of my seasonal gift baskets.
4th of July Peppermint Patties
Watermelon Peppermint Patties
Candy Cane Peppermint Patties
Candy Corn Peppermint Patties(makes 40 depending on the size of the patties)
3 tablespoons light corn syrup
3 tablespoons water
1 teaspoon pure peppermint extract / if you
prefer more minty flavor, use more extract, I used mint extract and it
worked well too, if you have peppermint oil, you can also use that, but
be careful, oils may have stronger flavors/
20 ounces(about 570grams) dipping chocolate wafers, such as Merckens
Food Gel Coloring: yellow and orange
- Beat 4 1/2 cups confectioners sugar with corn syrup, water,
peppermint extract, shortening, and a pinch of salt using an electric
mixer (with paddle attachment if using a stand mixer) at medium speed
until just combined. Knead on a work surface dusted with remaining 1/2
cup confectioners sugar until smooth.
- Divide dough into 3 equally big sections. Color them yellow, orange and leave one section white.
each dough individually between two pieces of parchment paper. Dust the parchment paper with additional powdered sugar if needed.
- You need to make sure that layers of each
dough are similar in size. I found that it helps to roll each dough
into a “snake” shape of certain length and then just roll into a
- You don’t have to roll them too thin, just into a similar size.
- Layer white, orange and yellow or yellow orange and white layers on top of each other.
- Very gently using a rolling pin, roll out layered colored layers, so the dough is evenly thick throughout. I like my patties fairly thin, about 3/16 of an inch(about 4mm).
- Chill the dough covered for 30 minutes.
- Using a small round cookie cutter, cut out as many rounds as you can. Making sure you cut them really closely you don’t have a lot of scraps.
- Gently gather scraps, don’t knead it.Roll the dough out again and cut out marlbled patties.
- Chill cut out patties until hard.
- Layer a tray with wax paper.
- Have dipping fork ready ( or a medium size meat fork).
- Melt the dipping chocolate wafers and dip each chilled peppermint patty in the chocolate and then nest it on the tray lines with wax paper. Once you are done dipping return tray with chocolate coated patties into the fridge. Returning tray into the fridge help the chocolate to set shiny.
- Store in the cool, dry place, in the airtight container, layered between pieces of wax paper.
Candy Corn Peppermint Patties Video Tutorial
Candy Corn Peppermint Patties
Linking to Tidy Mom