Homemade Pumpkin Pie Spice
Homemade pumpkin pie spice is perfect for all your fall favorites: pies, bread, pancakes, cakes, and cookies. It takes only 5 minutes to make and will elevate your fall baking.
HOW TO MAKE PUMPKIN PIE SPICE FROM SCRATCH
You are right; spice mixes are nothing new under the sun; they have been around for a long time. Maybe you’ve used a herbed spice mix to season roasted chicken or bought rosemary salt to season roasted potatoes. The great thing about spice mixes is that most of the spice blends, including pumpkin pie spice, can be mixed at home.
WHY WOULD YOU WANT TO MAKE SPICE MIX?
- Freshness – you control the quality and freshness of spices that go into your spice blend. Bring out the best flavors and aromas by grinding your spices. Freshly ground spices are superior to pre-ground herbs. Ground your spices and discover an eye-popping aroma and deep flavors. I find cloves and nutmeg are best freshly ground. You can still use pre-ground spices, but you’ll need to add more to make the spice mix.
- Customization – you can customize your mix by adding more cinnamon, and ginger, etc. Spice it up by adding some white pepper, or add an extra layer of flavor with cardamom.
SPICES YOU NEED
- Cinnamon – I like to use Saigon cinnamon
- Cardamom (optional)
- White Pepper(optional)
Though not necessary, I prefer to ground some of the spices to bring out the best flavors.
Pre-ground cloves can lose their potency and flavor quickly. That’s why I like to grind my own using a small coffee grinder. Fill the grinder, and pulse the coffee grinder until cloves are pulverized. Then sift the ground spice thru a fine mesh sieve.
Nutmeg tastes the best when freshly grated with a microplane zester.
PUMPKIN SPICE BLEND
In a mixing bowl, combine all the spices. Sift thru a fine mesh sieve and store in an airtight, preferable glass jar in a dark, dry spot.
HOW LONG DOES PUMPKIN PIE SPICE MIX LAST?
Stored in an airtight container, away from direct sunlight and moisture, it will last for one to two years.
RECIPES WITH PUMPKIN PIE SPICE
- Mini Pumpkin Cheesecakes
- Pumpkin Sponge Cake
- Pumpkin Apple Smoothie
- Homemade Pumpkin Pie via Simply Recipes
Homemade Pumpkin Pie Spice Mix
HOMEMADE PUMPKIN PIE SPICE MIX
- 3½ tbsp ground cinnamon
- 2 tsp ground ginger
- 1¼ tsp Fresh zested Nutmeg, packed (or use 1¾ pre-ground nutmeg)
- 1½ tsp ground Allspice
- 3/4 tsp Fresh ground Cloves (or use 1 tsp pre-ground cloves)
HOMEMADE PUMPKIN PIE SPICE MIX
Using Pre-Ground Spices
- Into small mixing bowl pour cinnamon (3½ tablespoons), ginger (2 teaspoons), nutmeg (1¾ teaspoons), allspice (1½ teaspoons) and cloves (1 teaspoon).Stir well to combine.
Using Fresh Ground Spices
- Grind whole cloves in a coffee grinder, and sift thru a fine mesh sieve. Grate the whole nutmeg with a Microplane zester.Into a small mixing bowl, pour cinnamon (3½ tablespoons), ginger (2 teaspoons), nutmeg (1¼ teaspoons), allspice (1½ teaspoons), and cloves (¾ teaspoon).Stir well to combine and sift thru a fine mesh sieve.
- Store pumpkin pie spice mix in an airtight container in a dry, dark spot. It will last for one to two years.