To make Pot Of Gold and Leprechaun cookies I used a cutter that is easily obtainable. Cupcake Cookie Cutter. I’m sure you have it in your cutter collection. Cupcake shape is versatile and is super popular with cookie decorators all over the world.
HOW TO DECORATE POT OF GOLD AND LEPRECHAUN COOKIES
- Cookie Decorating Guide
- Beginner’s Guide To Cookie Decorating
- Ultimate Guide to Cut-Out Cookies (tips, tricks, troubleshooting)
- Royal Icing Recipe
- Small Batch Royal Icing Recipe
- Cookie Icing Recipes (includes vegan royal icing, glaze, fondant)
- Guide To Royal Icing Consistencies with Visual Help(what is stiff, flood icing, etc.)
- How To Freeze Royal Icing
- How To Make Royal Icing Transfers
- Royal Icing FAQ ( for example: how to make black icing, color bleeding, storage, and more)
- How To Make a Cookie Cutter Template
- Ultimate Guide To Cookie Decorating Tools
DECORATE POT OF GOLD COOKIES
As you know, I love using cutters that serve more than one purpose. Cupcake shapes, seemingly ordinary, can be used for so many designs. It’s a must-have, for sure. What do you think? Which one is your favorite? Pot Of Gold or Leprechaun?
PREPARE ROYAL ICING
Coloring icing is my least favorite part of the cookie decorating process. This is when having some frozen icing comes handy. If you have frozen royal icing you can utilize it to make your rainbow colors. Find out more about how to reuse frozen royal icing for cookie decorating in my post How to freeze and reuse frozen royal icing.
MAKE A RAINBOW
- Pot Of Gold Cookies
- Rainbow Colors, Black, White : 15 second consistency
- Ivory/Yellow : piping consistency or stiff is fine, too – to glue the coins
- Using edible marker divide the top(swirl) portion of the cupcake cutter into 6 sections.
- Ice every other section with 15-second consistency icing. Let is crust for 10 minutes
- Flood the remaining sections. Let crust for 30 minutes
- Then with 15-second consistency, black royal icing flood the bottom of the cupcake.
- While black icing is wet, pipe white dots into the black with 15-second white icing. Use a scribe tool to create star shapes in the icing. Refer to the video below on how to make those.
ROYAL ICING COINS
- To make the gold coins use a stencil and stiff royal icing colored with ivory, light brown, or yellow gel colors.
- Place the stencil on a wax paper sheet or parchment. Spread stiff icing over the stencil and smooth it out. Lift the stencil and let the coins dry.
- Using an airbrush and gold shimmer airbrush paint spray the coins. Let dry.
- Remove coins from the wax paper. Store in an airtight container.
DECORATE WITH GOLD COINS SPRINKLES
Pipe dots of icing onto the dry icing and then glue gold coins onto the cookie.
HOW TO MAKE LEPRECHAUN COOKIES FOR SAINT PATRICK’S DAY
- Leprechaun Cookies
- Green, Orange, Black, White : 15 second consistency
- Skin Tone (Ivory and a touch of Pink) : 20 second consistency – face, ears, nose
- Skin Tone : piping consistency – ear detail
- Orange, Black : piping consistency – beard outline, eyebrows, mouth
- Green : piping consistency – outline the hat
- Yellow : 20 second – hat buckle
- Turn the cupcake cutter upside down. Draw the design with an edible marker.
- Flood the face with a skin tone 20-second royal icing (ivory and a touch of pink food coloring).
- Make the eyes with 15-second black and white icing while skin tone icing is till well. Refer to the video tutorial below.
- Ice ears with 20-second skin tone icing.
- Flood the black section with 15-second icing. Let crust.
- Pipe the nose with 20-second skin tone icing.
- Use orange and green 15-second royal icing to flood the remaining sections. Use white 15-second icing to make the stars on the top of the green hat while green is still wet. Let crust for an hour.
- Then make the buckle with yellow 20-second royal icing. Let dry completely.
- After the buckle has dried, you can paint it with edible gold luster dust mixed with a little lemon extract or Everclear.
- Next, outline the beard, hat, and ear with green and orange piping consistency royal icing.
- Wait for the icing to dry, then use pink petal dust to add color to the cheeks and ears.
- Pipe eyebrows and a mouth with piping consistency orange and black icing.
TO MAKE POT OF GOLD AND LEPRECHAUN COOKIES YOU NEED
- Sugar Cookies or other recipes I have listed here(including Vegan Sugar Cookies)
- Royal Icing, Vegan Royal Icing
- ROYAL ICING TRANSFERS
- Wax Paper
- Ivory Yellow stiff royal icing
- Polka Dot Stencil from here
- Small Icing Spreader
- Gold Airbrush Food Color
- Cupcake Cookie Cutter from here or here (AnnClark)
- Edible Marker
- Piping Bags
- Food Colorings : super red, orange, yellow, green, sky blue, purple(I mix electric pink and sky blue), super black, ivory
- Aibrush Food Colorings : metallic gold
- Pink Petal Dust
- Aztec Gold Luster Dust by Roxy & Rich
- Food Paint Brush – brown
- Everclear or McCormick Lemon Extract or other alcohol with high alcohol content(50% and more)
- Needle Tool
This post containsThis post contains Amazon affiliate links that earn me a small commission, at no cost to you. I only recommend products that I use and love. Learn more about my affiliate policy here.