Bundt cake was one of the first things my mom let me bake. I remember licking the beaters after the meringue was done, and sneaking in a big spatula just to taste the finished batter.(I still do this, though it seems like it was more fun back then). Folding in the cocoa powder.
We made sponge cake every Sunday. Perfect dessert to accompany an afternoon tea or coffee. Dusted with sugar, served with some whipped cream. It never grew old, and till this day it is one of my favorites. Simple and delicious.
When I moved to US, I didn't bring any cake pans with me. I bought classic style bundt cake pans and then I bought a Fleur de Lis Bundt Cake Pan from Nordic Ware. I didn't have a lot of money so I was saving for it. You see, we didn't have fancy cake pans like that at home. And so the day I bought I baked in it. I was so disappointed because the cake didn't come out. It was stuck. Then I read you can't use oil to grease the pan so I used butter and it came out looking all beautiful.
|Classic Vanilla Chocolate Sponge Bundt Cake|
Classic Vanilla Chocolate Sponge Bundt Cake
5 eggs, separated
1/2 cup oil
1/2cup warm water or milk
1tbl vanilla extract
2tsp baking powder
2cups all purpose flour
2cups powdered sugar, divided
2tbl sifted cocoa powder
pinch of salt
butter and flour for greasing the pan, pastry brush
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Butter and flour bundt cake pan. If using more complex pan pattern I use a pastry brush. Brush the pan with a very soft butter. Making sure you grease all the little details. Then flour the pan. Shake out the flour excess.
- Sift together flour and baking powder, set aside.
- In a clean bowl, whip 5 egg whites with a pinch of salt. Once soft peaks are formed, gradually add about half of the powdered sugar. Beat with wire beater until stiff and glossy peaks are formed. Scrape all the whipped egg whites into a clean bowl, set aside.
- In the same bowl you used to whip the egg whites, beat the egg yolks with remaining powdered sugar, until pale in color, 5 minutes.
- Beat in oil, add vanilla extract.
- In one continuous streak, add lukewarm milk, beat until well combined.
- Beat 5- 10 minutes, until doubled in volume.
- Alternatively, in 3-4 additions, using a spatula or a large whisk, fold flour and meringue(whipped egg whites) into the egg yolk mixture.
- Take about 3 cups of of cake batter and fold in 2tbl cocoa powder.
- Pour about 1/2 of the yellow batter into the prepare bundt cake pan. Then pour chocolate batter on top of it. Finish with yellow batter.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes. Don't open the oven or cake may fall. Check with at tooth pick or a bamboo stick.Insert the stick into the cake. If stick comes out clean, cake is done. If not, leave the cake in the oven for additional 5 minutes and check again. Cake is done if the sides are pulling away from the pan.
- Let the cake cool in the pan for 5 minutes. Then invert onto a cooling rack and let cool completely.
- Serving Suggestion: Dust cake with powdered sugar. You can also serve it with fruit and lightly sweetened whipped cream. This is a great take a long cake as well. Cover to prevent crusting.
Linking to Tidy Mom and Cupcake Garden