Curried Lentils and Broccoli (serves 4)
3tsp olive oil
4 cups broccoli florets, cut into small pieces
1/2cup finely chopped red onion
1 cup chopped carrot
1 cup dried brown lentils
1 bay leaf
2 garlic cloves, minced
1tsp curry powder
1 1/2 cup chicken broth
- Heat 1tsp olive oil in a large skillet, add broccoli, season with salt and pepper. Add 1/2 cup chicken broth. Cover and cook until knife tender, not mushy. Transfer broccoli to a plate and set aside.
- Using the same skillet, heat additional 2tsp olive oil, add chopped onion, and sautee until translucent, add minced garlic, stir well.
- Add chopped carrots, cook, stirring for about 3 minutes.
- Stir in lentils and curry powder. Season with salt and pepper.
- Cook for about 3 minutes.
- Add 1 cup chicken broth. Bring to boil.
- Reduce heat and cook on low heat covered until lentils are tender. If needed add water to the skillet.
- Add sliced apple, then add broccoli and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Divide evenly among 4 plates.