Classic Sponge Bundt Cake
Growing up I used to help my mom make super simple and delicious Sponge Bundt Cake. We made it nearly every Sunday. I was too little to make it by myself then. So I’d help by adding flour and meringue. And my mom, as all the best moms do would turn off the mixer before letting me lick the beaters.
This recipe is a staple in my kitchen just as well as it is at my mom’s. I like it for it’s simplicity and versatility. This easy to make homemade sponge cake batter is great for making a bundt cake but you can also use it to make delicious cake in a round baking pan.
How do you eat it? Eat it plain, with a cup of tea, coffee or hot cocoa. With or without a dollop of homemade whipped cream. Or make it fancy with fruit, jam or ganache drips.
HOW TO MAKE EASY SPONGE BUNDT CAKE
This recipe for sponge bundt cake uses simple ingredients. I’m sure you have these on hand at any given time.
Dry Ingredients : Sugar, Flour, Cocoa Powder, Baking Powder, Salt
Wet Ingredients : Egg Whites, Egg Yolks, Water/Milk, Oil, Vanilla Extract
PREPARE BUNDT CAKE PAN
Preheat the oven to 350F and prepare a baking pan.
Depending on the bundt cake pan you are using you can either just use a nonstick spray with flour or use soft butter and flour to prepare a baking pan.
When ever I use a Nordic Bundt Cake or any pan with a complex design I use soft butter and a pastry brush to thoroughly grease inside of the bundt cake. Pastry brush works great. It gets butter into all the nooks and crannies. Then I dust the inside of the pan with little bit of flour.
To remove the excess flour I cover my counter with a piece of wax paper. Turn the pan upside down and gently tap the pan on the counter and flour falls onto the wax paper. You can of course shake it off into the kitchen sink. However, I dislike cleaning up flour from the bottom and sides of the sink.
Into a medium size bowl add flour, salt and baking powder. Whisk to combine and set aside.
Meringue is made with egg whites and sugar. When making sponge cake batter I like to use my stand mixer without having to clean the bowl in the process. That’s why I start by making the meringue. Bowl has to be clean to make the meringue and then I scrape it out and use the same bowl without washing it to beat the egg yolk-sugar mixture.
First, bring eggs to room temperature. Leave eggs on the counter for about 30 minutes before separating them. Or you can place shelled eggs into warm water. Let them warm up in the water for about 10-15 minutes.
In order to make the meringue we need to separate egg yolks and egg whites. Place egg whites into a clean bowl of your mixer. With a wire attachment beat egg whites with a pinch of cream of tartar (or use 1/2tsp lemon juice or vinegar-if you don’t have any just skip it. ) until foamy. Then gradually beat in about half of the powdered sugar listed in the recipe. Beat egg whites until stiff and glossy peaks are formed. Try not to over beat the meringue or it will become grainy and dry. It kind of looks like an orange skin when it has been overworked.
HOW CAN I TELL IF MERINGUE IS OVER WORKED?
To prevent meringue from being over beaten it is best to stop the mixer few times while whipping meringue and test if stiff peaks are formed. When meringue is over mixed it becomes grainy and dry. Grainy, over worked meringue will also make your cake dry.
Scrape out stiff, glossy meringue out of the stand mixer bowl into another bowl. Next we’ll prepare egg yolk-sugar mixture. No need to wash the stand mixer bowl.
EGG YOLKS, SUGAR AND RIBBON STAGE
Into a bowl of you stand mixer add egg yolks and remaining powdered sugar. Beat on medium-high speed till pale in color and doubled in volume. Scrapping the bowl few times to ensure egg yolks are thoroughly blended in. Beat until mixture reaches ribbon stage.
Ribbon stage is a baking term that refers to batter consistency. It is reached when batter lifted up with a whisk, spoon or a spatula falls back down into a bowl slowly forming a ribbon. It should hold it’s shape for a few moments, slowly disappearing, blending into the mixture.
After you reach ribbon stage it’s time to add oil to egg yolk-sugar mixture. Slowly in one continuous pour beat in oil on low to medium speed. Blend well. Then pour warm water or milk into a measuring cup. And gradually, slowly in one continuous stream beat in warm water/milk. Scrape the bowl few times to ensure mixture is homogeneous.
With the addition of liquid, mixture will become thinner. This is normal. Next, you can beat in Vanilla Extract and Almond and/or Lemon Extract if using. Beat for 2 minutes, until mixture becomes very light in color and aerated.
SPONGE CAKE BATTER
It is important that you fold and not stir when combining egg yolk-sugar, flour and meringue.
Gradually fold sifted flour alternating with meringue into the egg yolk mixture. Do not stir. It is important to fold the ingredients into the yellow egg yolk mixture. Stirring will deflate the cake batter significantly resulting in a dense cake batter. Once no more flour streaks are visible in the cake batter give it 3 more folding strokes. Make sure to go with the spatula all the way to the bottom of the bowl to ensure batter is thoroughly mixed.
CHOCOLATE CAKE BATTER
When making this sponge bundt cake I always flavor a small amount of cake batter with sifted cocoa powder. However this is not necessary. If you wish you can just make plain yellow sponge instead.
Spoon about 2 -3 cups of prepared sponge cake batter into a bowl. Dust the top with sifted cocoa powder and fold it into the batter.
BAKE SPONGE BUNDT CAKE
Have the oven preheated to 350F.
Layer about half of the yellow sponge cake batter into a prepared bundt cake pan. Then spoon chocolate batter on the top. And lastly spoon remaining yellow sponge cake batter over the chocolate layer.
Bake bundt cake in the preheated oven at 350F (176-180C) for 30 minutes or until tootpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Let the cake cool for about 15 minutes and then invert it onto a cooling rack. And let it cool completely.
HOW LONG DOES THE SPONGE BUNDT CAKE LAST?
On the counter 3 days, covered. Stored in the fridge, covered, in a container or bakery box cake lasts for 5 – 6 days.
CAN I FREEZE IT?
Sure. Wrap it well and freeze for up to 3 months. Let defrost before unwrapping.
CAN I USE THIS RECIPE TO MAKE A LAYER CAKE?
Yes, you can. I used a similar recipe to make this pretty Buttercream Leaf Cake.
TO MAKE CLASSIC SPONGE BUNDT CAKE YOU NEED
- RECIPE – below
- Get all the tools in my Amazon Shop – in Baking Tools section
- Bundt Cake Pan
- Pastry Brush
- Mesh Sieve
- Measuring Cup
- Measuring Spoons
- Stand Mixer
- Mixing Bowls
MORE DELICIOUS CAKE RECIPES :
Classic Sponge Bundt Cake
Sponge Cake Batter
- 5 eggs, separated and at room temperature
- 2 cups powdered sugar, divided
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 3 tbsp cocoa powder, sifted
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup oil
- 1/2 cup warm water or milk
- 1 tbsp Vanilla Extract
- 1/2 tsp Almond Extract (optional)
- 1/2 tsp Lemon Extract (optional)
- pinch cream of tartar or use 1/2 tsp lemon juice or vinegar (it helps to stabilize egg whites, if you don't have any of these, skip it)
Prepare Bundt Cake Pan
- 2 tbsp soft butter, not melted
- 2-3 tbsp flour
Prepare Bundt Cake Pan
- Grease and flour the bundt cake pan. In this recipe I used a Nordic Bundt Cake Pan. When using complex patterned bundt cake pans and all Nordic Bundt Cake Pans use soft butter to grease the pan. Use a pastry brush to get into all little nooks and crannies of the pan's design. Making sure you grease all the little details. Then flour the pan. Shake out the flour excess. Place a piece of wax paper on your work surface and shake out the flour excess onto the paper. You can also shake it out into the kitchen sink if you don't mind cleaning it up later.Set the prepared baking bundt cake pan aside.
Classic Sponge Bundt Cake
- Preheat oven to 350F (176-180C).
- Sift together flour(2 cups) and baking powder(2 tsp), salt(1/4 tsp) set aside.
- Separate eggs (5 room temperature eggs). Pour egg whites into a clean bowl of you mixer. If your eggs are too cold place them into warm water in their shells for about 5 minutes to warm them up to room temperature. Then separate egg yolks and egg whites.
- Prepare meringue. You can use a stand mixer or hand held mixer to make the sponge cake batter. Into a clean bowl add 5 egg whites at room temperature. With a wire beater beat egg whites on medium high speed until foamy. Then gradually add half of the powdered sugar(1 cup). Beat with wire beater until stiff and glossy peaks are formed. If using a stand mixer carefully scrape out the meringue into another bowl. If you are using a hand held mixer use another large bowl to prepare egg yolk-sugar mixtureTip : Don't overbeat the meringue or your cake can come out dry. Meringue that is overworked appears grainy, kind of like orange skin.
Egg Yolks and Sugar – Ribbon Stage
- Then into the same bowl you used to make the meringue pour all of the egg yolks (5 egg yolks). Add remaining powdered sugar(1 cup). Beat egg yolks and powdered sugar with a wire attachment on medium high speed until it reaches a ribbon stage. Once ready mixture will be pale in color and doubled in volume. It will take about 5-8 minutes. Once ribbon stage is reached in a steady slow stream beat in the oil(1/2 cup). Then on medium low speed and also in one continuous stream beat in lukewarm milk or water( 1/2 cup). Scrape the bowl few times to make sure all is well combined together. Beat for 5 minutes. Lastly beat in Vanilla Extract(1 tbsp). And if using add Almond Extract (1/2tsp) and/or Lemon Extract (1/2tsp) – both almond and lemon extract are optional.Tip :Ribbon stage is a baking term that refers to batter consistency. It is reached when batter lifted up with a whisk, spoon or a spatula falls back down into a bowl slowly forming a ribbon. It should hold it’s shape for a few moments, slowly disappearing, blending into the mixture.
Sponge Cake Batter
- Now we are going to combine meringue, egg yolk mixture and flour. Using fine mesh strainer sift about 1/3 of flour mixture into the egg yolk mixture and carefully fold the flour in with a spatula, then add about 1/3 of meringue and fold it in. Continue with the rest of the flour and meringue until no streaks are visible. Then make last 3 folds, making sure you go with the spatula all the way to the bottom of the bowl. Be gentle and don't over mix. You are looking for a light and airy batter.Take about 2-3 cups of sponge cake batter and pour it into an empty bowl. Sift cocoa powder(3 tbsp) over the cake batter. Fold the cocoa powder into the yellow cake batter.Pour about 1/2 of the remaining yellow batter into the prepared bundt cake pan. Then pour cocoa batter on top of it. And then finish with a yellow batter. Smooth the top with a back of the spoon. Bake.
Bake Sponge Bundt Cake
- Bake sponge bundt cake at 350F for 30-35 minutes. Don't open the oven or cake may fall. After 30 minutes check the cake. Test if the cake is done – insert skewer into the center. When the stick comes out clean, cake is done. If not, leave the cake in the oven for additional 5 minutes and check again. Cake is done if the sides are pulling away from the pan. Let the cake cool in the pan for 15 minutes. Then invert the cake onto a cooling rack and let it cool completely.
- Dust cooled cake with powdered sugar. This cake is delicious served with coffee or tea. You can also serve it with fruit and lightly sweetened whipped cream. This is a great take a long cake as well. Cover to prevent drying out.
HOW LONG DOES A SPONGE BUNDT CAKE LAST?On the counter, covered up to 3 days. In the fridge covered up to 5-6 days. Cover well to prevent cake from drying out.
CAN I FREEZE SPONGE BUNDT CAKE?Yes, cover it well. Freeze for up to 3 months. Let it thaw completely before unwrapping.
CAN I USE THIS CAKE BATTER TO MAKE A ROUND CAKE?Yes.
On December 27th, 2019 I updated this post with new step by step photos, written text and a video.
This post contains Amazon affiliate links that earn me a small commission, at no cost to you. I only recommend products that I use and love. Learn more about my affiliate policy here.
My whole family was BLOWN AWAY. It was so decadent and spongy.
For the record all the sponge cakes I have ever baked were anything but spongy. But your steps to follow were so easy and methodical.
Frickin happy! Thank you ❤️
So happy to hear you like it. And thank you for sending the picture via email. Happy Baking.
Thank you so much for this recipe. I tried it and it was awesome! Had to bake another 15 mins till centre of cake was done. Ended up having a dark brown cake but a tasty one.
Hi Kavita, so glad it worked out for you. I sometimes have the same problem and then I make a dome with the foil to prevent over browning of the top.
I have heard sponge and chiffon cakes don’t come out in bundt pans. Is it true ? Can I try chiffon cakes in a heritage bundt pan by Nordic Ware?
I’ve have used nordic ware bundt cake pans for sponge cakes for years and they come out fine as long as I brush softened butter with a pastry brush on the inside and then dust with the flour.
Going to try it tomorrow ty