Pan fried Cheese Sticks are what a lot of my Saturday lunches and/or dinners were made of, not because my mom would make it so often but because when I was growing up I spent most of the weekends at basketball tournaments and when asked what we wanted for lunch, we usually responded with ” Cheese Sticks with fries and tartar sauce”.
Once a month I go grocery shopping to a local Russian store, and I buy a huge block of cheese there, among other things of course, but this cheese I get there it is called Eidam Square and that is what I use to make my cheese sticks. You could use other cheese if you like, brie is delicious, mozzarella or just anything you like will work fine.
Fried Cheese Sticks
Block of cheese, cut into about 1/2 inch sticks, about 15 sticks
about 2cups bread crumbs
about 1/2 cup flour
Olive oil or Canola oil
Prepare separate dish for bread crumbs, flour, eggs. Break the egg with a fork and mix it until well combined
- Run the cheese under water briefly, this will help flour to adhere to the cheese sticks better
- Coat lightly moist cheese sticks in the flour, use fork to help you move the cheese around
- Dip flour coated sticks in the egg mixture
- Use the fork to lift the sticks from the egg wash and coat the sticks in bread crumbs
- Repeat – I always repeat the process to create a thicker crust on the cheese, it helps to prevent cheese leaking out while frying
- I pan fry my cheese sticks.Heat oil in the skillet until hot, carefully put cheese into the skillet and fry on all sides, it only takes few minutes, don’t leave the cheese on the heat for too long, it may start leaking from the bread crumbs coating
- Using a silicone offset spatula remove cheese sticks from the pan, place them onto the plate lined with paper towel to drain excess fat.
- Serve hot/warm
- Reheat on steam or in the microwave if necessary
You can dip cheese sticks in your favorite sauce and enjoy them with fries, boiled or roasted potatoes.