1 1/2 tbl corn starch
1 1/2 cup granulated sugar
1tsp vanilla extract
1tsp vinegar ( or 1/2 tsp cream of tartar- these both are stabilizing agents so you can use either of them)
1/2tsp pumpkin pie spice(optional)
To Make Pumpkins You Need:
Large Star Piping Tip
AmeriColor : Green and Orange
- Preheat oven to 200F. Line baking sheet with parchment paper, set aside.
- Divide sugar in half, process one half of the sugar with corn starch in the food processor. Process it with the blade for about 30 to 60 seconds. Set aside.
- Make sure the bowl of your mixer is grease free. Wipe it dry with white distilled vinegar if needed.
- Add egg whites into the clean bowl, add salt, beat egg whites on high, until soft peaks are formed, gradually add 1/2 of granulated sugar and beat until stiff and glossy peaks are formed. Add vinegar or cream of tartar.
- Add remaining sugar-corn starch mix, and beat only for a little bit, 15-30 seconds, just until incorporated.
- Divide meringue.
- Tint the 1/4 to 1/3 of meringue with leaf green.
- Color remaining meringue with orange.
- Fit the pastry bag with star pastry tip, using spatula fill the bag with orange meringue.
- Pipe stars onto the parchment paper. Once you are done with all the orange meringue start with the leaves. Fit the large leaf tip into a piping bag, and fill the bag with green meringue. Start piping leaves.( View my video tutorial to learn how it is done)
- Bake at 200 for 1.5 hours . Turn off the oven and let the meringue layers in the oven for additional 1 to 1.5hours.
- To avoid browning of the meringue I placed a piece of aluminum foil on the bottom rack in the oven. I have an electric oven with elements exposed at the bottom.
- If not using the same day, store meringue layers between layers of wax paper, in a large airtight container. Store for up to 3 days.