To make the Gingerbread Bird House you need:
Bird house cookie cutter set, or cookie cutter templates
Small Holly Leaf Cutter
Food Gel Colorings
Bench Scrapper – for cutting out cookies
Pick a template right for you
- I picked a free template online and then I resized the whole image into my liking and then I made simple plastic cookie templates that I used to hand cut my cookies.
- I made them about 5.5cm by 6.5cm, (2.3″x2.6″)
- I used this bird house template, from Torrie Jane Blog
Pine Bird House
- Flood all the cookies with white, or light ivory.Let dry.
- Using forest green and leaf green color your icing.
- Pipe pine branches randomly onto the front, back and sides.Let dry.
- Using brown icing pipe dots and short lines to create pine cone shape. Let dry.
- To decorate the roof, use white icing, pipe the classic roof shingles pattern, while still icing is wet, sprinkle coarse sugar on top.
- Let all the cookie panels dry before assembling the house.
- Use stiff royal icing to glue the pieces together. I usually start with the front and sides, adding the back of the house last. Then I wait until icing dries and then I add the roof pieces.
Gingerbread Bird House Video Tutorial
I also created 2 separate tutorials that will help you with creating your own gingerbread bird house.
Snowy Gingerbread Roof Tutorial-to create a fluffy snow like texture on the roof.