I realize not everyone has royal icing laying around in their kitchen 24/7. What if you only need a little bit of icing but don't want make the whole big batch? Here is a recipe for a small batch of royal icing.
(recipe below can be doubled : 2lb powdered sugar, 4 1/2tbl meringue powder, 2/4cup +2 tbl water/for fresh lemon royal icing substitute 1/4 cupwater for fresh lemom juice/,1tbl vanilla extract)
Mini Batch Royal Icing
2cups(226grams) powdered sugar
1tbl (10grams)meringue powder
3 1/2tbl(35ml) water
1 tsp(5ml) vanilla extract
pinch of cream tartar
- Make sure all your tools are grease free!
I wipe my tools with a piece of paper towel and vinegar. Wipe dry with a clean towel.
- Whisk together meringue powder with warm water, until slightly foamy, add cream of tartar, whisk again and then add all the powdered sugar at once. Using your stand mixer, on the lowest setting, using paddle attachment, mix for 3-4 minutes, add vanilla extact and mix for additional 6 minutes, total 10 minutes or so, until very thick.
- Icing will be thick.
- You can now color your icing
- When not in use store this icing in airtight container.
- This icing behaves really well even after several weeks, I store this icing in the fridge, for up to 2 weeks, if needed remix the icing when you are ready to use it again.
- You can keep this icing at room temperature for up to a week or so, remix it when ready to use.
- More Tips on how to work with Royal Icing can be found here.
|These images are for illustration only, with a Small Batch Royal Icing recipe you'll have about half of the amount of icing.|