Sunflower Meringue Cookies
Meringues(about 20 medium size flowers)
4 large egg whites
3/4 cup granulated sugar
pinch of salt
1 1/2tsp extract(use, vanilla, mint, orange, lemon..etc)
Yellow food coloring, brown food coloring or cocoa powder
- Wipe your mixing bowl and tools with a paper tower dipped in vinegar, wipe dry.
- Using a whisk combine egg whites, pinch of salt, sugar in a heat proof bowl, best is tempered glass or your stainless steel mixer bowl. Set the bowl over the pan with simmering water. Whisking constantly, until sugar dissolves and mixture is hot to the touch, about 5 minutes or so.
- Transfer the bowl to your electric mixers, using wire attachment, beat the mixture gradually from low to high, until stiff peaks are formed. About 5-8 minutes. Add the flavoring and mix for a minute or so to incorporate the extract.
- Remove about 1 cup of meringue and add about 1tbl of cocoa, stir well, fill the piping bag fitted with a star tip with cocoa meringue, set aside.
- Color remaining meringue with yellow food coloring, and fill a piping bag fitted with a leaf tip.
- Place a dot of meringue onto the flower nail and place a piece of parchment square on top to secure it.
- Using a large Wilton Leaf Tip#115 start piping flower petals, turn the flower nail as you progress piping the petals
- Once you pipe all the petals, using a star tip and brown meringue pipe a small star in the center of the flower petals
- Place unbaked meringue flowers onto a baking sheet
- Bake for 1 to 2 hours, turn the oven off and leave the meringues in the oven until cool
- Store in the airtight container, if storing for longer then few days I suggest placing few packets of silica gel in the container to keep the moisture away. Storing sugar decorations with silica gel packets
Pretty Meringue Cookies
Meringue Cookies Series
Lilly of the Valley Meringue Cookies
Santa Hat Meringue Cookies
Ribbon Meringue Roses- Video tutorial
Christmas Poinsettia Meringue Cookies