Without a doubt, as we all know we are in the cold and flu season. Recently I had a really bad case of cold/flu for 10 days then immediatelly followed by a severe stomach virus* for several days. So I'm thinking what a "fabulous" start to new 2012! What I mean is I really hate being sick. It looks like I'm over the worst now and my goal is to keep it that way.
In the cold season especially but not exlusively I highly recommend drinking lots of fluids, especiall teas, eating lots of veggies and fruits that boost immune system, excercise and wash your hands.
Today I'm going to share with you my old time tea remedy I've been using for years it has proven itself to be very effective, making one feel better immediately.
I've received several emails regarding my remedy for stomach virus. I can only provide you with what I've been doing in such case.
When stomach virus is severe you can easily become dehydraded so the top prority in this case is to :
- Keep your body hydraded, your body can go without food but liquid is essential!
- Drink in small sips, driking a lot at once doesn't seem to help anything.
- Try chilled pepsi by tablespoon at a time not more
- Rest as much as possible
- Eat only plain toast, salted cooked plain rice or a banana
- Give your body time to process the food, you may be able to eat one toast first day and then second day you can try rice if you feel like it then try banana.
- As you progress and feel better, try rice and steemed carrots
- Drink teas, plain, no sugar no lemon no honey.
Cold and Flu Tea Remedy(4servings - serving size 1 cup )
4 Tea bags, I like to use ROSEHIP, LINDEN FLOWER TEA, ECHINACEA TEA, GINGER TEA OR LEMON TEA
3tbl zested Ginger Root, or if you can't find any use chopped crystallized ginger
Juice of 2 Fresh Lemons
3tbl + Raw Honey (depends on how sweet you like your tea, add more if desired)
1-2tsp Chili Flakes(use more or less if desired)
- Bring water to boil.
- Zest or grate fresh ginger, set aside
- Prepare Thermos
- Put 4 tea bags in a medium size pot
- Pout hot water over the tea bags in the pot, cover and let sit for 5 minutes
- Add ginger, honey, chili flakes, let sit covered for another 10 minutes
- Remove Tea bags from the pot, discard the tea bags
- Add lemon juice to your tea, taste, add more honey if desired
- Pour tea into the Thermos, close the lid, use as needed
Ginger- helps remove toxins from the body, and helps to clear sinuses
Chili Flakes -heat from the flakes that normally sets your mouth on fire actually cools inflammation and it will help to open up your sinuses, fight congestion
Honey-, has lots of antioxidants, boosts your immune system, to help with sore throat or cough
Lemon- blood purifier, helps body to get rid of the toxins, vitamin C, fights infections