Casseroles were big when I was growing up, they stood strong in my mom's kitchen and they still find their way into my kitchen these days too. One of my favorite things when it comes to food are layers, I absolutely love layers, in fact I believe casserole dishes were made for layers.
Few weeks ago I bought my first ever Food Processor(no more slicing by hand!), and though I wasn't looking for the expense, I've used it at least 20 times already. I'm thinking what else can I slice, dice, shred and mix? I greatly underestimated power of food processor. I bought Kitchen Aid 13 Cup Brand in silver color.
If you are following my Facebook Garden Gallery you probably know that our garden is having a fabulous year, from peas, beans, red beets, cucumbers, tomatoes to winter squash, we are enjoying fresh garden bounty, and with plentiful amounts of vegetables I'm always trying to come up with new exciting recipes that we can enjoy.
Zucchini is one of my favorites, it is supremely versatile, it is tasty and really easy to prepare for different recipes, cold and hot, great on the grill, in the oven, in the soup, in bruschetta, in bread, cake, cupcakes, sliced, diced, shredded.
Zucchini Potato Cheese Gratin
2 medium size zucchini
3 large potatoes
1 large red onion
1tbl olive oil
2tbl fresh basil
1/2 cup fat free ricotta cheese
2/3cup low fat sour cream
2cloves of garlic
1/2 cup shredded cheese, mozzarella
kosher salt, pepper to season
3tbl plain bread crumbs
- Preheat oven to 370F, butter and coat the casserole dish with bread crumbs, set aside
- Peel the onion and slice it thinly, heat the olive oil in a skillet and cook onion until caramelized, set aside
- Peel the potatoes, using a food processor slice them fairly thin.
- Par cook potatoes in boiling, salted water for 2 minutes, drain and set aside
- Scrub zucchini well, cut in half, remove seeds and slice the same thickness as potatoes, set aside
- In a blender or food processor, process ricotta cheese, sour cream, basil and eggs, season with salt and pepper, season to taste, stir in shredded cheese, set aside
- Layer potatoes, zucchini and caramelized onion in a prepared casserole dish, starting with potatoes followed by onion, zucchini, ending with zucchini slices.
- Slowly pour the herbed egg mixture over the layered dish.Spread the cheese on the top in an even layer if necessary
- Bake for 45-60 minutes, until golden brown on the top and cooked through
- I prefer letting this dish to cool slightly before serving
- Enjoy warm or room temperature, can be make a day ahead
- I served it with fresh tomato kosher salt olive oil salad