- Preheat oven to 400F
- Prick the potato with a fork and bake on a piece of aluminum foil directly on the oven rack. Bake for 1 to 1/2 hours until fork-tender.
- Remove potato from the oven, let cool slightly. Half and scoop the flesh out. Discard the skin.
- Using a potato ricer, press potato onto a piece of double layered paper towel. Let sit for 20 minutes to absorb the excess moisture. If needed replace the paper towel once.
- Now transfer sweet potato puree into a bowl.
- Add flour, salt, and pepper. Stir well with wooden spoon.
- Then dump the dough onto a lightly floured work surface and gently knead until no longer sticky. Be careful not to overwork the dough, you want the dough to be soft not stiff.
- Divide dough into equal pieces and roll out the logs.
- Cut the logs into small about 1/2 inch piece.
- If not pressed by time, gently press each gnocchi against the fork to make small ridges, this helps the sauce to stick better.
- In a large pot, bring water seasoned with salt to boil.
- Set aside a bowl with 2tsp olive oil.
- Cook gnocchi, 15 pieces at a time. Gently slide gnocchi into the boiling water, stir gently and let cook.
- Once gnocchi is cooked they will rise to the top, let cook for additional 15-20 second, then using slotted spoon remove cooked gnocchi from the boiling water and transfer to the bowl with olive oil. Gently stir to coat the gnocchi.
- Continue with remaining gnocchi.
- Steam the broccoli drizzled with 1tsp olive oil until fork tender, set aside.
- Heat 2 tsp olive oil in the skillet, add chopped onion and sautee until translucent and slightly golden.
- Add chicken broth, season with pepper and salt, cook until liquid is slightly reduced. Then add heavy cream and nutmeg. Cook for additional 2-3 minutes.
- Stir in broccoli and gnocchi.
Crate & Barrel
Bed Bath and Beyond