Over the years of baking I’ve learned quite a few things about myself, and one of them is that I have a soft spot for egg whites, to be more specific to whipped egg whites(although I enjoy an egg white omelette as well), who ever thought of beating air into the egg white was a pure genius. Egg whites are used in variety of desserts and today I decided to share a super easy and summerlicious recipe for Meringue Sandwich Cake you’ll love. Peaches were fruit of my choice, fruit in season always stands out the best but be sure try different fruit as well, berries, perhaps cooked down apple would be lovely too. I absolutely love creamy filling made from whipped heavy cream and sour cream, it has to be one of my summer favorites. I also use it in my mom’s Kiwifruit cake .
Peach Almond Meringue Cake
for the meringues(makes, 2 hearts cakes(4inch across, 4 layers)or one 8 inch round cake(4layers) or you can also make mini 3 inch rounds -about 20 pieces)
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1tbl corn starch
6 egg whites
1/2tsp almond extract
pinch of salt
for the filling
1 cup chopped almonds
4-5 fresh ripe peaches
2 cups light sour cream
1cup heavy cream
4tbl sugar or to taste
1/2tsp vanilla bean paste or vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 220F.
- Depending on what shape and size you are making, with the pencil trace the shape onto a parchment paper, if you are doing heart cake trace heart shape, if you are doing rounds trace rounds on the parchment paper. Flip the paper over and line the baking sheets with it.
- Using your mixer, whip the egg whites in the clean bowl, add a pinch of salt and whip until medium peaks are formed, in a separate bowl combine sugar and corn starch, gradually add sugar mixture into the egg whites and beat until you have stiff and glossy peaks formed, add almond extract and beat for few seconds.
- Spoon the meringue into a pastry bag fitted with either large star or round tip .
- Pipe the meringue into shapes onto the baking sheets, using shape guides you traced on the paper before.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 1 3/4 hours, making sure you rotate baking sheets halfway through baking.
- Once you turn off the oven leave the meringue in the oven for at least one hour or longer. I usually make meringues in the evening and I leave them in the oven overnight.
- Remove from the oven and store between layers of wax paper in an airtight container until ready to use
- Prepare Filling: in a small dish combined 1tbl water and 1tsp gelatin let bloom for 3 minutes, after it has bloomed using a microwave dissolve gelatin, with microwave on high for 5 seconds, stir dissolved mixture until cool
- In a clean bowl beat heavy cream until soft peaks are formed, add cooled dissolved gelatin and sugar and beat until stiff peaks are formed. Fold in sour cream, and vanilla bean paste. Taste and add more sugar if desired
- Wash and slice peaches into thin slices
- Layer meringues with fillings to form a sandwich cake: spoon heavy cream/sour cream mixture onto the meringue, layer with thinly sliced fresh peaches, sprinkle chopped almonds and continue layering remaining meringues and fillings on top of each other until you have a 4 layers formed, ending with heavy cream mixture sprinkled with chopped almonds
- Serve immediately
- Tip : You can also make lots of smaller round meringues and use them to ” Make your own Sandwich” at the party, using 2 meringues sandwiched with whipped cream mixture and fruit of your choice.