Minions Ice Cream Sandwiches
Turn your favorite lovable yellow Minions into Minions Ice Cream Sandwiches. I’m making this ice cream season extra special with these adorable frozen summer treats. Cheerful minions cakes are sure to bring smiles across the birthday party table.
JUMP TO RECIPE | JUMP TO TOOLS
MINIONS ICE CREAM SANDWICHES
Just last week I shared with you how to make super easy Ice Cream Wafer Sandwiches. Today, instead of wafers I’m using cake batter to make Minion Ice Cream Cakes. These little treats are perfect for Minion inspired parties.
BUTTERMILK CAKE BATTER
Buttermilk cake batter is super easy to prepare. Follow the recipe directions. Once you have the batter prepared divide it into 4 portions.
- COLOR CAKE BATTER
- Minions are mainly yellow and blue with few other colors so we have to color cake batter with food colors.
- Divide cake batter into 4 portions.
- Color 2 portions with yellow and 1 portion with sky blue.
- Divide remaining portion into 4 equal portions. Color portions black, gray and brown. Leave one portion uncolored.
- Spoon each colored portion into a piping bag. When ready to pipe, cut the tip of the piping bag with scissors.
I used buttermilk to make cake batter, but what if you don’t have buttermilk? Make your own buttermilk : add 1tsp white distilled vinegar to 2/3 cup milk, let it sit for 5 minutes and stir well. And use as directed in the recipe.
MINION CAKE DESIGN
Spray the baking pan with a nonstick spray. Pipe Minion design into each cavity. Use colored batter to create Minion cakes.
- Yellow – body
- Sky Blue – body
- Gray – googles’ frame
- White – eye
- Brown – eye iris, buttons
- Black – googles strap, mouth
Pipe the Minion body first. Starting with the yellow. Then continue with sky blue. After pipe a black googles’ strap.
Then continue with piping googles’ frame with gray cake batter. And after fill it with white batter. Make a mouth with black. And lastly make an eye iris and brown buttons.
BAKE THE MINION SANDWICH CAKES
Bake Minions cakes at 350F for 11-12 minutes. Remove from the oven and let the cakes cool in the pan for 5 minutes. Then using a small spatula loosen the edges, and remove cakes from the pan. Transfer minion cakes onto a cooling rack and let cool completely.
Melt chocolate chips and spread a thin layer of chocolate on an underside of each minion cake. Press the cakes chocolate side down onto the wax paper. Freeze for 2 hours.
ICE CREAM BLOCK
For each minion ice cream sandwich you need a small ice cream block that measures approximately 3 inches x 1.5 inches.
PREPARE ICE CREAM BLOCK : shape ice cream into 9inch by 3 inch block, and about ½ to ¾ inch thick.
Let’s start with softening ice cream for 5-10 minutes. I used strawberry ripple ice cream.
Line a baking pan or a freezer safe tray with a plastic wrap. Layer ice cream into a block, about ½ to ¾ inch thick. Shape it into 9inch by 3inch rectangle. Freeze for several hours, until firm.
MINION ICE CREAM SANDWICH ASSEMBLY
Cut a large ice cream block into 6 blocks (about 3inch by 1.5inch ). Then sandwich ice cream between chilled cakes.
Serve immediately, or freeze for later. Minion ice cream sandwiches can be prepared ahead of time. Store them in a single layer in a freezer safe container for up to a month.
TO MAKE MINIONS ICE CREAM SANDWICHES YOU NEED
- RECIPE – JUMP TO RECIPE
- 12 Treat Baking Pan
- Nonstick Spray
- Food Colors : you need yellow, sky blue, black, brown
- Piping Bags
- Small Spatula
- Wax Paper, Small Tray or a Baking Pan 9×13 to shape the ice cream block
- Knife or a Bench Scrapper to cut ice cream into blocks
MORE FUN ICE CREAM TREATS :
- Ice Cream Wafer Sandwiches
- Water Melon Ice Cream Sandwiches
- Vanilla Bean Ice Cream
- Brownie Bottom Ice Cream Cake
Minions Ice Cream Sandwiches
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 4 tbsp room temperature butter
- 1 large egg
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup flour
- 3/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2/3 cup buttermilk If you don't have buttermilk on hand make your own : to 2/3 cup whole milk add 1/2tsp white distilled vinegar, let sit for 5 minutes, then gently stir and use in the recipe as directed
- Food Coloring yellow, sky blue, black, brown
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips
- ice cream
- Preheat oven to 350F
- Beat butter (4tbsp room temperature butter) and sugar (1/2cup) until creamy and fluffy, add egg (1) and Vanilla extract (1tsp), beat until doubled in volume and creamy, pale in color.
- Sift flour (1cup), baking powder (3/4tsp) and salt (1/4tsp).
- Add 1/2 of the flour mixture into the butter mixture, mix on low speed, then add 1/2 of the buttermilk (1/3cup). Then add rest of the flour, and add rest of the buttermilk (1/3cup). Total amount of buttermilk is 2/3 cup.
Color Cake Batter
- Divide cake batter into 4 portions. Color 2 portions with yellow and 1 portion with sky blue. Divide remaining portion into 4 equal portions. Color portions black, gray and brown. Leave one portion uncolored. Spoon each colored portion into a piping bag. When ready to pipe, cut the tip of the piping bag with scissors.
- Spray the whoopie pie rectangle pan with a nonstick spray.
- Pipe, fill the pans with the design.
- Bake at 350F for 11- 12minutes.
- Let cakes ool in the baking pan for a couple minutes then transfer to a cooling rack. Cool completely.
- Melt the chocolate chips (1/2 cup ). Spread chocolate on the bottom of each cake. Press the cakes onto the tray lined with wax paper. Transfer tray into the freeze and chill for 2 hours.
Minion Ice Cream Sandwiches Assembly
- Soften ice cream and shape an ice cream block in a small freezer safe dish. I used a small baking sheet. Freeze for at least 2 hours. Cut it up into sections.
Peel the cakes from the wax paper, chocolate should be firm now. Sandwich ice cream filling between 2 minion cakes. Ice cream will not stick to the cakes right away, let it soften for a couple minutes and then press the cakes into the ice cream. Store in one layer in a plastic container, in the freezer. Ice cream sandwiches can be prepared ahead of time and frozen for a month.
PIN IT for later
This 2015 updated post includes all you need to make fun ice cream sandwiches.
This post contains Amazon affiliate links that earn me a small commission, at no cost to you. I only recommend products that I use and love. Learn more about my affiliate policy here.
These are so cute!
Hi June, thank you so much. They are so fun and kids love them!