I made another cake roll. As you know I have fallen head over heels for pattern cake rolls this year. I’ve made quite a few of them over the past several months. First one I made back in January, my very first pattern cake roll – Snowflake Cake Roll has started it all.
With only few days before Christmas here is a quick and festive dessert idea :
Christmas Tree Cake Roll (Step by Step Video Tutorial).
- 2/3 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 3 tbsp room temperature butter
- 3 egg whites at room temperature
- 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 to 2 tbsp water to thin the batter down as needed, or use freshly squeezed lemon juice instead
- 5 tbsp tbl butter melted, cooled
- 6 eggs separated, at room temperature
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- pinch of salt
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 block cream cheese about 226grams, room temperature
- 1/4 cup room temperature unsalted butter
- 1 1/4 cup powdered sugar use little more as desired
- 2-3 tbsp cream or heavy cream
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup crushed peppermint candies
- Peppermint oil for more flavor add only few drops
- Cream butter, add powdered sugar, beat until creamy, add egg whites and beat until incorporated, add vanilla extract and on low speed add flour.
- Color batter with leaf green food coloring, I used Americolor brand. Using tree pattern pipe tree onto the parchment paper. Freeze for 20-30 minutes.
- In a clean bowl beat egg whites with pinch of salt until soft peaks are formed, add about 1/2 of the granulated sugar, beat until stiff and glossy peaks are formed.
- Beat egg yolks with remaining sugar until pale in color and doubled in volume. Add vanilla extract and gradually add melted and cooled butter. Beat well.
Into the egg mixture gradually, alternating fold in sifted flour and meringue.
Spray the jelly roll pan with non stick spray, lay the piped tree pattern on top and spread the cake batter over the tree pattern layer.
- Bake at 350F for 13-15 minutes, until edges are lightly golden brown.
- Dust the wax paper sheet with powdered sugar, invert baked and still hot cake onto the wax paper, peel of the top layer of parchment paper, place another layer of wax paper on the top. Put a cutting board or another baking sheet on the top and flip the cake, peel the wax paper. Starting at the side with no tree pattern, roll the cake. Wrap into the kitchen towel, let cool completely before filling.
- Beat cream cheese and butter until smooth and creamy, gradually add powdered sugar alternating with cream, beat well. add vanilla extract. Reserve about 1 cup of frosting. Into the remaining frosting stir in crushed candies and few drops of peppermint flavor.
- Divided reserved filling and color one portion with green and one with yellow.
Fill The Cake Carefully unroll the cake peel the wax paper, fill with the filling and roll up again. Cover with plastic wrap, chill for 4 hours or overnight before serving. Decorate the cake Fit the piping bag with an open star tip and with a small round tip. Fill piping bag fitted with a star tip with green frosting and the one with round tip with green frosting. Decorate the cake, using star tip to make the stars on the top of the tree and green icing to make the garland. Finish with mini m&m candies for Christmas lights. Refrigerate up to 3-4 days.