Christmas Egg in a Hole with Apple and Prosciutto
On a Beautiful Christmas morning …
- Position oven racks: one rack at the top and one at the bottom of your oven.
- Place one of the baking sheets on the bottom rack. Set the other sheet on the kitchen counter.
- Preheat oven to 500F with one sheet inside of the oven on the bottom rack.
- While the oven is preheating : whisk together 2 tbl olive oil and 1tsp mustard.
- Brush one side of each sandwich slice with olive oil mustard dressing/spread.
- Using a tree cookie cutter, cut out sandwich bread trees.
- Once the oven is preheated to 500F, using kitchen mitten or a towel take the baking sheet out of the oven, and put 2tbl butter on the sheet. Moving it around slightly to evenly distribute melting butter.
- Transfer bread slices to buttered sheet at once, sides brushed with olive oil mustard dressing facing up, along with the tree cut outs.
- Bake for 5 minutes, turning sandwich pieces once. They will be golden brown once done.
- Take the sheet with toasted bread out of the oven and place the hot baking sheet on top of the room temperature baking sheet you set aside before.
- Crack one egg into the each sandwich hole.You may have to slightly move the egg white around so it reaches all the cavities. Season with salt and pepper if desired.
- Place the sheets on the top rack in your oven, and bake for 5-6 minutes, until eggs are set but not rubbery. You want the top to giggle slightly.
- Take the bread out of the oven, let it sit on the sheet for 1 minutes, then using a flat spatula transfer to a plate and serve with apples and prosciutto ham.
Do you know what would be great to serve along these festive sandwiches?