Rocky Road Cupcakes (makes 12 standard cupcakes)
Cake Batter 4tbl(60gram) butter, unsalted
1/2 cup (120ml)strong coffee
1cup(140grams) all purpose flour
1cup (200gams) granulated sugar
1/4 cup plus 2tbl(40grams) cocoa powder
3/4 tsp baking soda
pinch of salt
1 large egg
1/4 cup(60ml) buttermilk
1tsp vanilla extract
1/2cup chocolate chips, use dark or bittersweet chocolate, or combination of dark and milk if you prefer
1/2 cup(60ml) heavy cream or whipping cream
pinch of salt
broken up vanilla biscuits/cookies, or graham crackers – about 5 pieces
1/2 cup Micro Marshmallows
- Preheat oven to 350F. Line a muffin pan with liners. I used liners from Bake it Pretty.
- In a small sauce pan, heat butter, oil, coffee and rum, just until butter melts, stir the mixture well to combine. Let the mixture cool for 5 minutes.
- Into a bowl of your mixer sift flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking soda, and pinch of salt.
- Pour the butter mixture over flour and beat on low speed until combined and smooth. About 2 minutes
- Then add egg and beat until combined. 30 seconds to minute.
- Then add buttermilk and vanilla extract. Scrape the bowl and beat until smooth. About 1 minute.
- Pour the batter into the prepared muffing pan.
- Bake for about 18-20 minutes, depends on your oven. Toothpick inserted into the cupcake has to come out clean.
- Let the cupcakes cool the pan, for 5 minutes, then transfer cupcakes onto a cooling rack to cool completely.
Make Ganache Frosting – can be made day ahead
- Put chocolate into a heatproof bowl, like tempered glass or stainless steel bowl, set aside.
- Heat heavy cream and butter until butter melts and heavy cream is hot, look for tiny bubbles forming on the surface of heavy cream, around the edges.
- Pour hot cream over chocolate, cover bowl with paper towel and then put a lid on it, or a plate. Let stand for 5 minutes.
- Remove the lid and paper towel, using a metal spoon or a whisk stir the mixture until smooth.
- Let the frosting cool to room temperature then trasnfer to the fridge until cooled completely.
- Into a shallow bowl add micro marshmallows, broken up biscuits, stir, add peanuts if using.
- Spread a thick layer of ganache on each cupcake then dip the cupcake into the biscuit marshmallow mix, or use your hands and sprinkle toppings on top of each cupcakes, load them up with toppings generously.
These cupcakes can be made up to one day ahead, store them in an airtight container in the fridge, let cupcake come to room temperature before serving.