I didn’t have ricotta cheese so I used my homemade farmer’s cheese and I ended up using raspberry jam instead of lemon marmalade as I didn’t have any. Plus lemon and raspberry go so well together. I also decreased the sugar amount slightly. Raspberry Jam seemed to be sweet enough to give the waffles just right sweetness.
Raspberry Lemon Ricotta Waffles (about 7 waffles)
1/4 cup butter, melted and cooled
3 eggs, separated
1/2 cup ricotta cheese or you can also use farmer’s cheese(How to make farmer’s cheese)
1/4 cup seedless raspberry jam
2tbl lemon juice
zest of one lemon
3/4 cup flour
1/4tsp baking powder
1/2 cup milk(I used fat free)
- In a clean bowl beat egg whites with a pinch of salt until stiff peaks are formed, set aside.
- In another bowl whisk/beat together ricotta cheese, melted butter, jam, lemon zest, sugar and lemon juice, add egg yolks and whisk until well combined.
- Stir together flour and baking powder.
- Add flour mixture into the wet mixture alternatively with milk.
- Fold in egg whites.
- Preheat waffle iron, grease the iron and spoon about 3 tbl of waffle batter onto the pan. Cook until golden brown, about 3 minuts.
- Serve plain or dusted with powdered sugar.