- Preheat oven to 385F.
- Butter and flour the Pumpkin Cake Pan. If using more complex pan pattern I use a pastry brush. Brush the pan with a very soft butter. Making sure you grease all the little details. Then flour the pan. Shake out the flour excess.
- Sift together flour and baking powder, set aside.
- In a clean bowl, whip 5 egg whites with a pinch of salt. Once soft peaks are formed, gradually add 1/4 cup powdered sugar. Beat with wire beater until stiff and glossy peaks are formed. Scrape all the whipped egg whites into a clean bowl, set aside.
- In the same bowl you used to whip the egg whites, beat the egg yolks with remaining powdered sugar, until pale in color, 5 minutes.
- Add vanilla extract.
- In one continuous streak, add lukewarm milk, beat until well combined.
- Then to the egg yolk mixture, with mixer on low speed, add oil. Beat until just well combined.
- Alternatively, in 3-4 additions, using a spatula or a large whisk, fold flour and meringue(whipped egg whites) into the egg yolk mixture.
- Divide batter in half.
- Color one half it orange food coloring, fold in the color. Add cocoa powder to the remaining batter fold in the cocoa powder.
- Divide batter between the pans, alternating orange and chocolate.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes. Don’t open the oven or cake may fall. Check with at tooth pick or a bamboo stick. Insert the stick into the cake. If stick comes out clean, cake is done. If not, leave the cake in the oven for additional 5 minutes and check again. Cake is done if the sides are pulling away from the pan.
- Let the cake cool in the pan for 5 minutes. Then invert onto a cooling rack and let cool completely.
- Melt butter. Whisk together butter, vanilla extract and milk, add powdered sugar and whisk until smooth. Add food coloring and whisk again. Use as glaze on cakes.
Fondant Leaves – view the video, select section 2 and learn how to make fondant leaves for the cake
fondant (Mini Batch Marshmallow Fondant – RECIPE)
Fall Mini Metal Cookie Cutter Set
(Small leaf cookie cutter)
piece of plastic wrap for the forming
One regular size marshmallow
Chocolate Candy Melts
- Melt the chocolate, in 15-20 second intervals, agitating chocolate after eat heating.
- Stick toothpick into the marshmallow and then dip marshmallow into the chocolate, coating it whole. Put coated marshmallow on a piece of wax paper. Let harden. Use as a stem on the cake.
Pumpkin Sponge Cake with Flying Chocolate Bats Video Tutorial