I love pairing potatoes with marjoram. Marjoram is so beautifully fragrant, it compliments potatoes without overpowering. I personally think marjoram is not used enough in cooking. I usually use it dry but this year I bought an herb plant so I use it fresh as much as possible. It is wonderful.
Potato Galette with Marjoram and Garlic Cream
2 1/2 pounds potatoes, sliced thinly, no more than 1/8 inch(3mm)
1tbl butter, melted
3tbl olive oil
1tbl corn starch
1tsp kosher salt
2tsp fresh marjoram leaves, chopped
1/2tsp fresh ground black pepper
cast iron pan or heavy 10 inch ovenproof skillet
- Preheat oven to 450F.
- In a large bowl stir sliced potatoes with a tap water to remove starch. Drain and spread potatoes on a clean kitchen towel and pat dry.
- In a large bowl whisk together 1 tbl melted butter and 3 tbl olive oil, salt, pepper, paprika, corn starch and marjoram.
- Add potatoes and toss thoroughly, until coated.
- Place 1tbl butter into a skillet and heat, swirl the pan to coat with butter.
- Start layering potatoes in the skillet, start with placing one slice in the center and then take more slices, overlapping the slice in the center, layer potatoes into even thickness.
- Cook on the stove on medium high heat, until sizzling and potatoes around the edge of the skillet are turning translucent. From 5-10 minutes.
- Then spray a piece of aluminum foil (12x12inch)with non stick spray or brush wish some oil.
- Place the foil with sprayed side down on top of the potatoes. Put 9 inch cake pan on top of the foil and fill the cake pan with pie weights, about 2 cups. If you have a smaller cast iron pan you can also you is to weight the potatoes down. That is what I used and you can see that in the picture.
- Firmly press the cake pan down to compress potatoes.
- Then transfer skillet into the oven, on the bottom rack.
- Bake for 20 minutes.
- After 20 minutes, remove the cake pan with weights and the foil and continue baking for additional 20-25 minutes, until a tender in the center, you can test it with a paring knife.
- Then return the skillet with potatoes to the stove top and cook, gently shaking the pan, until galette releases from the sides of the pan, about 3 minutes.
- Take the skillet off the heat, if necessary run a small knife around the edges of the galette to help release it. Place a cutting board or a plate over the skillet and using both hands invert the skillet and the cutting board. Lift up the skillet to release the galette. Cut galette into wedges and enjoy warm and at room temperature.
- Enjoy with Garlic Herb Cream
Garlic Herb Cream
1cup Greek Plain Yogurt, fat free is fine, I use Chobani
1 clove garlic, pressed
pinch of salt, pepper
1/2tsp chopped fresh marjoram
- Sir yogurt, garlic salt marjoram and pepper. Taste.