Carnival Vanilla Doughnuts
2 1/2 cups (360grams) all purpose flour, plus extra for dusting
2 1/4tsp (1packet) dry yeast
3/4cup (200ml) warm milk
1/3cup +1tbl (85ml) heavy cream, room temperature
2tbl granulated sugar
2tbl dark rum
1/2tsp vanilla extract
oil for frying
raspberry jam and powdered sugar
- Prepare a sponge: is a small dish combine milk, honey and yeast, add 1tbl flour, whisk together, set aside for 10 minutes.
- While sponge is forming, in another small bowl whisk together heavy cream, egg yolks rum and vanilla extract, set aside.
- In a large bowl of your mixer sift together 2 1/2cup flour, salt and granulated sugar.
- To the flour mixture add sponge and egg yolk mixture, using a mixer with a paddle attachment mix on low speed until combined. Mixture will be soft and you will be tempted to add more flour. Don’t.
- Remove bowl from the mixer, if more comfortable scrape the dough into a different bowl and using a wooden spoon, knead the dough with the wooden spoon. Working the dough from the outer walls to the center. Until you have a small and soft dough formed. This dough will never come together into a firm ball, it will be soft.You want it to be soft.
- Sprinkle some flour on top, cover with a plastic wrap and let it rise in the oven with 3 cups of boiling water placed in a pot on the bottom rack. Let rise for about 1 hour and 15 minutes.
- One risen pull the dough out of the bowl onto a floured work surface,(I used parchment paper dusted with flour) dough is soft.
- Sprinkle some flour(very lightly) on top as well then fold it half.
- Using a rolling pin roll the dough into about 1/4 to 1/2inch thick.
- Using a round cutter, dip the cutter in flour and cut out as many doughnuts as you can.
- Pull the dough out of the doughnuts not the other way around. Re-roll the remaining dough. Cut out doughnuts again.
- Let the doughnuts rise for 20 minutes.
- Take a wooden spoon, using a handle press down the center of each doughnut, making a small hole.
- Heat the oil, you need about an 1inch of oil in the pan/pot. Heat the oil on medium heat, it shouldn’t be burning nor it should be on low.
- Carefully add doughnuts into the oil, fry only about 4 at a time, depends on how big your pan is, cover the pan with the lid for the first 2 minutes, then remove the lid turn the doughnuts and continue frying until they are golden yellow, about 1:30 to 2 minutes.
- Remove from the oil and place them onto a paper towel.
- Fill the doughnut with raspberry jam and sprinkle with powdered sugar.
- Enjoy.These doughnuts are not oily like you would think. Rum in the dough controls oil absorption.
Sam’s Kitchen – Doughnuts with Vanilla Cream
Haniela’s -Vanilla Doughnuts with Raspberry Jam