Occasionally I indulge in one of my childhood favorite toppings: Toasted Bread Crumbs with powdered sugar drizzled over with melted butter. Toasted bread crumbs are great variety of dishes, just to name a few : sprinkle bread crumbs on pasta, rolled potato noodles, pierogy, cauliflower and also on cheese balls.
Toasting the bread crumbs brings out the flavor. When toasting bread crumbs make sure you to stir them frequently as they can burn quite easily. If you like toasted bread there is a high chance you like toasted bread crumbs, too.
Preparing this dish couldn't be easier, everything comes together in under 20 minutes. If you can't find farmer's cheese you can make your own, just follow my instructions in my video tutorial, or you could try substituting for Ricotta cheese.
- In a medium bowl combine together cheese, semolina, breadcrumbs, sugar and baking soda.
- In a small dish whisk together egg yolk, milk and vanilla extract.
- Pour over dry ingredients and stir with fork, or if it gets difficult to stir you can also use your hand bring the dough together.
- Using cookie scoop form cheese balls,then smooth them out by rolling them between your hands.
- Prepare bread crumbs, in small sauce pan or a skillet, with medium low heat setting, toast bread crumbs, stirring frequently to prevent burning. Bread crumb will turn light golden once done. This can take anywhere from 5 to 10 minutes.
- Bring 2 quarts water to boil. Transfer cheese balls into the boiling water, once cheese balls float cook them for 1 to 2 minutes.
- Scoop them out with a laddle or slottet spoon.
- Sprinkle with toasted bread crumbs and drizlle melted butter and milk on top.