I have fallen in love with fruit gallettes; they are easy to make, taste delicious and you can use any fruit you like. Right now we are headed for the peach season, and with blueberries being in abundance this year too I decided to make Peach and Blueberry Gallettes.
I'm sure most of you, who've been around reading my blog know by now that I love farmer's cheese(which can be substituted with ricotta cheese) and I try to use it as often as I can, so one of the gallettes has also another layer of yumminess - sweet cheese.
Cornmeal Crust with cardamom(make 2 large free form gallettes)
2 sticks cold butter, cut into small cubes
1 1/3 cups all purpose flour
1 1/3 cup cornmeal
2tbl brown sugar
8tablespoon chilled water
2tbl cornmeal for dusting
1cup fat free ricotta cheese(or use Farmer's Cheese)
2-3 ripe peaches
2tbl brown sugar
1 1/2 -2cups blueberries, washed
2tbl brown sugar
For Both Gallettes
1/2 cup quick oats or crushed vanilla cookies
- To make the pastry you can use either food processor or you can make it by hand
- I'll be making it by hand
- In a bowl combine flours, sugars, stir together well
- To the flour mixture add butter bits, using a fork or pastry blender work the butter into the flour until pieces of butter are evenly distributed in the flour and are about the size of small peas
- To the flour butter mixture add candied or crystallized ginger and stir gently
- Gradually start drizzling ice water onto the flour butter mixture, tossing the mixture with the fork, add more water until dough is evenly moist and begins to come together in a mass
- At this point you can shape the dough into a disk and cover it with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least an hour
- In the meantime prepare your filling
- In a small dish combine together ricotta cheese, sugar, vanilla and egg yolk, set aside
- Wash and cut the fruit, in a medium size dish combine fruit with brown sugar and set aside
- Prepare egg wash
- Whisk egg white until foamy, set aside
- Make the free form gallettes, divide crust dough into 2 equally big disk, roll each crust out between 2 pieces of parchment paper, sprinkle bottom parchment paper with 1tbl cornmeal to prevent dough from sticking. Roll it out as big as you can, but keeping it between 1/2-1/4 inch thick.
- Transfer each rolled crust onto a baking sheet, each crust should be sitting on a parchment paper, simply lift the paper with the crust on top and transfer it.
- For the Peach Gallette: sprinkle about 1/4 of quick oats or crushed cookies on the rolled crust, spread the cheese on top of it, leaving about 2 inches around without the filling, layer sliced peaches on top. Fold the crust ends inwards, pressing the dough slightly.
- For the Blueberry Gallette: sprinkle remaining 1/4 of quick oats or crushed cookies on the rolled crust, layer blueberry mixture on the top. Fold the crust ends inwards, pressing the dough slightly
- Preheat oven to 400F
- Chill for 10 minutes
- Take the baking sheets out of the fridge and brush the gallettes with egg white and sprinkle sparingly with raw sugar
- Bake in the preheated oven at 400F, for 25-30 minutes, or until crust get golden brown
- Let cool on the baking sheet
- Enjoy the same day or these can also be refrigerated, bring to room temperature before serving
- I have also frozen these.