Cinnamon Walnut Oat Twist Bread
For the filling I used variety of things, from dry fruit, oat, walnuts to chocolate. You can go simple using one filling or you can go with more than one filling. I personally prefer using walnuts but if you are a pecan fan, you can substitute for them instead. Serve this bread plain along with a cup of tea or coffee.
Cinnamon Walnut Oat Twist Bread (2 loaves)
Sweet Yeast Dough
1 cup old fashion oats
1/2 cup roughly chopped walnuts or pecans
2 tsp cinnamon
1 cup dry raisins, cranberries, you can substitute for chopped apricots as well
2tbl little bits of dark chocolate
1tbl flavored rum, or other flavored liqueur (optional)
- Sift together flour, sugar into bowl of you mixer.
- Warm the milk, add 1package of dry yeast into the milk, stir and let stand for 5 minutes until bubbles form on the surface.
- In a small dish stir together melted butter, oil, egg yolks, lemon juice and lemon zest.
- Add wet ingredients into dry and knead on low speed using a hook attachment. Knead until smooth dough forms.
- Invert dough onto a lightly floured surface and knead with a hand for a minute or so until no longer sticky.
- Oil a large bowl and put the dough into the bowl, coat the dough
with oil. Cover bowl with plastic wrap and let the dough rise in a warm
place, about an 1hour 15 minutes.
- In a bowl stir dry ingredients for the filling. Set aside.
- Once dough has risen, invert it onto a lightly floured surface, cut in half.
- Roll one half of the dough into a rectangle, brush wit butter milk mixture, spread 1/2 of the raspberry jam in center and press half of the filling into the dough. Sprinkle some butter milk mixture on the top.
- Roll the rectangle into a log. Cut lengthwise and then in half. First braid /twist 2 cut halves together, , continue with the second one. You should have 2 braided robes. Gently place them onto a baking sheet, and press them slightly together. Cover with a towel and let rise for about 30 -40 minutes.
- Continue with remaining dough.
- Prepare egg wash.
- Brush both loaves with egg wash.
- Preheat oven to 400F(200C), bake for 10 minutes, then lower temperature to 350F(180C) and bake for another 30 minutes, or until golden brown on the top.
- In the meantime whisk together melted butter and vanilla.
- Take the loaves from the oven and brush with butter rum mixture, cover loosely with a towel and let rest for 20-30 minutes.
- Cut or tear the loaves by hand. Enjoy.
should be very good, greetings