I’ve been on an apple cider kick lately. I’m loving it so much I’ve decided to make Apple Cider Cream Pie. Traditionally I make pie crust with just plain flour but since I love oats I decided to throw them in there too. Now, if you dislike oats or think they don’t belong into the pie, simply omit them and use the same amount of flour instead.
3/4 cup all purpose flour
1/2 cup oats
1tbl corn starch
1tbl granulated sugar
1/2tsp kosher salt
1stick butter, chilled, diced
4tbl cold milk
1tsp apple cider vinegar
2tbl crystallized or candied ginger, chopped
Apple Cider Filling
3 cups apple cider (cooked down to 1/2 cup)
3/4cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup sour cream
Topping : Whipped Cream
1cup heavy cream (room temperature) or whipping cream
1/4cup granulated sugar
3/4 tsp cinnamon
1tbl cold water
- In a food processor process oats, flour, salt, corn starch and sugar for about 30-45 seconds, pulsing. Be careful not to over process, you want have small pieces of oats in the mixture.
- Add chilled butter, and pulse for couple time just to get it roughly combined.
- Gradually add cold milk mixed with apple cider vinegar and then add candied ginger.
- Process just until mixture look like coarse meal, and small bits of butter are still intact.
- Gather into a disk, wrap in a clear plastic wrap and chill for one hour.
- Chill your cutting/rolling board in the freezer as well, for at least 20 minutes or so, until cold.
- Roll out the dough on a chilled surface into about 11 inch round. Slide off into the 9 inch pie dish. Press the dough into the dish, trim as needed. Refrigerate again for 20 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 420F. Line the pie crust with parchment and fill it with dry beans or pie weights. Bake for 15 minutes. Remove from the oven, remove the beans, cover the edges with aluminum foil and bake for additional 15 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and set aside.
- Lower the oven temperature to 350F
- Prepare filling: whisk together apple cider reduction, granulated sugar, sour cream, salt and eggs, until smooth.
- Pout into the prepared pie crust. cover the edges again and bake for 35-40 minutes, until edges are set and center is slightly jiggly.
- Remove pie from the oven, and let cool completely.
- Prepare the topping: stir gelatin with cold water, let bloom for 5 minutes. Microwave for 3-4 second until dissolved, take care not to over heat the gelatin. Let cool to room temperature. Beat room temperature heavy cream, once you see soft peaks forming, gradually add dissolved gelatin and beat on high. Gradually add sugar and beat until stiff peaks are formed.
- Spread the topping on the cooled pie. Dust with cinnamon as desired.
I have some exciting news!
I teamed up with some of my YOU TUBE friends and we prepared Vegetarian Thanksgiving Dinner Menu. Be sure to check out the recipes, links are posted below the picture.
Pumpkin Gnocchi with Gorgonzola Sauce – Barbara from Buona Pappa(printable Recipe)
Roasted Miso Brussels Sprouts – Cobi from Veggietorials(printable Recipe)
Tofu Wrapped in Grilled Eggplant – Sav from Eat Now Cry Later(printable Recipe)
Mini Salted Caramel Cheesecakes – Lainey from Simply Bakings(printable Recipe)
Apple Cider Cream Pie – Hani from Haniela’s