Sugar Cookie Dough((don't use baking powder in the recipe if using for this project)
or you can also use delicious Linzer Cookie Dough
Small Alphabet Cookie/Fondant Impression Set
Merkens Dark Chocolate Candy Melts
butter knife to spread the chocolate
- Sift together flour, add salt, set aside.
- In a small dish whisk together egg and vanilla extract, set aside.
- In a mixing bowl cream together room temperature butter and sugar, about 5 minutes, scrape the bowl twice. Butter creamed with sugar should be light and fluffy.
- Gradually add vanilla egg mixture, beating anywhere from 30 seconds to minute until well mixed in.
- Now gradually in 3 additions add flour. Lower the speed of your mixer to low. Scrape the bowl well after the last addition and beat just until flour is combined.
- Scrape the cookie dough into a large bowl, and using your hands knead the cookie dough for about 30 to 60 seconds, until dough comes together.
- Wrap the dough in a plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight(8hours) or minimum 4hours.
- Preheat oven to 375F(190C)
- Divide cookie dough in half. Roll one half of the cookie dough into about 1/4 inch thick, between 2 pieces of parchment paper using rolling guides on each side of the dough.(1 painter's stick on each side)
- Cut out as many cookies as you can. Place the cookies on a light colored baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Using the Alphabet Impression Set, thread "GIVE THANKS" into the track and press it into each cookie.
- Chill the cut outs in the fridge for about 10 minutes.
- Bake for 9minutes, depending on the oven, you want the cookie to be crispy. If they get little golden on the bottom it is fine.
- Let the cookies cool on the baking sheet for 5 minutes, transfer to cooling rack and let cool completely.
- Line a tray with wax paper.
- Melt the Chocolate Candy Melts according to the directions on the packaging
- Spread some melted chocolate on the back of the cookies, then place the cookie chocolate side down onto the wax paper and gently press down. Repeat.
- Let chocolate harden for 10-15 minutes.
- Then peel off the cookies from the wax paper. You should have a very thin layer of chocolate covering the bottom of the cookies.
- Store in the airtight container for up to 2 weeks, between pieces of wax paper in a large airtight container, until ready to use.
- You can simple wrap couple of these in a clear bag and give one to each of your guests at Thanksgiving Table