- Steam or roast the beets until soft and still firm, not mushy, remove from heat and let cool slightly.
- Put clean latex or non latex gloves on and remove the skins from the beets. This is an easy task, the only problem is that it gets a bit messy, so wear the gloves , you can thank me later
- Using a madoline slice skinless beets into fairly thin slices, or you can grate them too.If grating use a rough size not fine. Put sliced or grated beets into a container that you can be closed overnight.
- Prepare pickling solution : in a medium size pot stir together water, sugar, vinegar, salt, caraway seeds, fennel seeds, black pepper berries, and chili flakes(optional). Bring the liquid to boil and let boil covered for 15 minutes. Remove from heat and let cool slightly.
- Pour the pickling liquid through the mesh sieve and over beets,stirr and let sit for 2-3 hours.
- Prepare canning tools, jars, lids and rings. Sterilize jars and lids. Place few slices of fresh horseradish on the bottom of each jar. Fill the jars with pickled beets. Process in water bath for 15-20 minutes. Set your clock for 15-20 minutes once the water in the canning pot starts boiling.
- More on canning can be found in my Post Dill Pickles, or Pickled Peppers In oil
|Freshly Cooked Beets|
|Peeled Beets. Use gloves when peeling beets.|
|Sliced horseradish and skinless red beets|