In case you haven’t heard 2nd ANNUAL SOUPAPALOOZA STARTS TODAY! What are you waiting for?
Split Pea Soup With Knockwurst
2cups green dry split peas
4cups chicken broth
2.5 cups water
1 onion(whatever kind you have), peeled, washed and cut in half
4 large carrots, peeled and dices into small pieces
4 whole garlic cloves
4whole pepper berries, make a small pouch using cheese cloth and berries inside, you will remove the pouch once the soup is cooked
parsley bunch, washed well and tied with a kitchen twine
2 German Knockwurst Sausages, diced into small pieces
salt, pepper to taste
olive oil, use as needed
2 tbl olive oil
2tsp red sweet paprika
1 – 1 1/2 cup water
|Italian Parsley is a staple herb in my kitchen. How to store herbs so they last longer|
- In a large pot, combine washed split peas, onion, whole garlic cloves, whole pepper berries in a cheese cloth pouch, add 2.5 cups water, 4 cups chicken stock, 1tsp kosher salt and tied parsley. Bring to boil, reduce heat to simmer and continue cooking until peas are al dente, 15-20 minutes
- In the meantime add a little olive oil into a skillet an brown the diced knockwurst
- Using a few tsp of water or olive oil, saute diced carrots until al dente
- Once peas are al dente, to the same pot add browned knockwurst, making sure you scrape the skillet and add all the drippings and juice for the flavor, at this time also add al dente carrots, if necessary add more chicken stock, I like a thick soup but your preference may be different.
- On low heat simmer soup until peas and carrots are tender, at this stage you need to make Soup Roux
Make the Soup Roux:
- While soup is still simmering, in another medium size sauce pan heat oil, add flour and cook at least a minute or two to get rid of the flour taste, keep stirring so it doesn’t burn, don’t let the flour get brown. Remove from the heat for one minute, add 2tsp red paprika, stir, add 1 to 1 1/2 cup water and stir well until thoroughly combined. Don’t add all the water at once, start with1/2 cup and then stir well and add remaining water. Return sauce pan to heat and bring to boil, once heated , pour the soup roux into the main pot with peas, and stir well. Bring to boil, reduce to simmer and simmer for 3 minutes. Remove finished pot from the heat. Remove parsley bunch, pepper berries, cooked garlic and if desired remove cooked onion or leave it. I don’t like cooked onion or cooked garlic like this so I usually get rid of them but you are welcome to leave in the soup if you like it.
- Last thing to do is to make croutons, it is not necessary to have croutons with this soups but I think they complete the package perfectly.
- Dice the bread, heat few tsp of olive oil in the skillet and on low heat brown the bread cubes until crispy.
- Now you are ready to enjoy my Split Pea Soup With Knockwurst.
Made By You Monday