Buttercream Easter basket sugar cookies are a tasty addition to your festive Easter tablescape.
HOW TO MAKE BUTTERCREAM EASTER BASKET SUGAR COOKIES
This evergreen Easter basket cookie design is super easy to make. Follow my step-by-step decorating instructions on how to make these cute decorated cookies.
PREPARE CRUSTING BUTTERCREAM FROSTING
I used my Crusting Buttercream Frosting. This recipe makes about 4 cups of buttercream. Bellow, you’ll find instructions on how to color and divide buttercream into piping bags. You should have enough to decorate about 15-20 cookies, that are about 2 3/4 inches to 3 inches across.
COLOR CRUSTING BUTTERCREAM
- White Buttercream: Spoon about 2 cups of white buttercream into a bowl and cover it. Cut a small opening on a piping bag and drop a star piping tip #16 into a piping bag. Push the piping tip down the piping bag until it fits in a small opening.
- Fill the bag with half of the buttercream. Refill piping bag during decorating, as needed.
- It’s easier to work with a small amount of buttercream. Avoid overfilling the piping bag with buttercream.
- Blue Buttercream: Color about ½ cup of white buttercream with blue gel color. Keep buttercream in a small bowl. Cover the bowl to prevent buttercream from crusting.
- Green Buttercream: Color about ½ cup of white buttercream with blue and yellow gel colors to make green. Cut a small opening on a piping bag and drop a grass piping tip into a piping bag. Push it down the piping bag until it fits in a small opening.
- Fill the bag with green buttercream.Twist the end of the piping bag.
- Pink Buttercream: Color about ¼ cup of buttercream with pink gel color. Cut a small opening on a piping bag and drop a round piping tip into a piping bag. Push it down the piping bag until it fits in a small opening.
- Fill the piping bag with pink buttercream. Twist the end of the piping bag.
- Yellow Buttercream: Color about ¼ cup of buttercream with pink gel color. Cut a small opening on a piping bag and drop a round piping tip into a piping bag. Push it down the piping bag until it fits in a small opening.
- Fill the piping bag with yellow buttercream. Twist the end of the piping bag.
DECORATE EASTER BASKET COOKIES WITH BUTTERCREAM
- Spread a thin layer of blue buttercream onto the top portion of the cookie. Use a small spatula, flexible plastic spreader or a spoon (steps 1-3).
- Pipe small dots of white buttercream onto the blue and smooth it over the blue layer (steps 4-6). This cloud effect is optional.
- Onto a plate or a coffee filter, pour white sanding sugar. Immediately dip the blue buttercream layer in the sanding sugar (steps 1-3).
- Trim the excess with a 2-in-1 tool (cookie scrapper, often called a boo-boo stick) and clean up the edge if necessary (steps 4-6).
HOW TO PIPE BASKET WEAVE DESIGN WITH A STAR TIP
With white buttercream and a piping bag fitted with a star tip, pipe a basketweave design below the blue buttercream layer (steps 1-8). Here is a closer look at a basket weave technique, piped with a basketweave piping tip.
- Pipe a seashell border around the blue buttercream layer.
- Clean up the edge with a 2-in-1 tool. Use a shovel end of the decorating tool.
- Use a piping bag filled with green buttercream and fitted with a grass piping tip to pipe grass above the white basket section.
- Attach your favorite Easter Egg Candies onto the grass section. Gently push chocolate eggs into the buttercream.
PINK AND YELLOW FLOWERS
- Pipe Pink and Yellow Flowers
- Use piping bags filled with pink and yellow buttercream, fitted with a round piping tip #2 to pipe small flowers below the grass layer.
- To pipe flowers, pipe teardrop-shaped petals.
- I used edible pearls to make flower centers.
- If you don’t have edible pearls to make the flower centers, use yellow buttercream on pink flowers and pink buttercream on yellow flowers.
- Allow buttercream to crust for a 6-9 hours before packaging.
- Store cookies in an airtight container.
TO MAKE BUTTERCREAM EASTER BASKET SUGAR COOKIE YOU NEED
- Soft Sugar Cookies (soft bite sugar cookies, made with sour cream, make about 5 dozen)
- Classic Sugar Cookies ( crispy and soft inside,makes about 15 3-inch cookies)
- Crusting Buttercream Frosting (makes about 4 cups)
- Shop tools in my Amazon Shop
- Easter Egg Cookie Cutter ( I used a cutter from SweetSugarbelle)
- Food Gel Colors (I used Americolor Brand): lemon yellow, elecric pink, sky blue, leaf green
- Spatula or a Palette Knife
- Plastic Icing Smoother
- Piping Tips: grass piping tip, round piping tips #2, star piping tip #16
- Edible Pearls
- Easter Chocolate Egg Candies