Cornbread recipe I found in the magazine looked really good, as I found out it can be altered in different ways, adding carrots, tomatoes, corn, bacon, dry fruits, scallions, kale, peppers, sausage, nuts, zucchini, pickled peppers. Combinations are endless , really.
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- Grease 9 inch square pan, line the pan with parchment paper for easier release, leaving some loose parchment hanging over the sides, set aside.
- In a large bowl combine together cornmeal, flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, fresh ground pepper, nutmeg, set aside.
- In a bowl whisk together egg, milk, yogurt, melted butter, set aside.
- Whisk wet ingredients into dry ingredients until combined.
- Stir in sautéed onion, broccoli and cheese.
- Pour into the prepared pan.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes, until edges are lightly golden.
- Remove from the oven, let cool in the pan for 15 minutes.
- Loosen the edges with a knife, and slice.
- These can be made ahead, and stored in the fridge. Bring to room temperature before serving.
and bring it with you to your next picnic party, or share it with friends and neighbors. You’ll be surprised how many will reach for the seconds.