Christmas Dove Gingerbread Centerpiece
Image of dove has been part of Christmas for many years, centuries actually. It symbolizes peace, purity, love and freedom.
I wanted to recreate Christmas Dove symbol into a cookie centerpiece, using gingerbread dough, icing and sanding sugar. Here is what I came up with.
Or you can also use any of these cookie recipes,
these are all edible. Keep in mind, cookie dough containing a baking
powder/baking soda may change cookies in size slightly once baked.
- Make a small rope shape/branch from the cookie dough(roll the dough with the palms of your hands), cut out holly leaves.
- Using little bit of water attach holly leaves onto the branch. Bake cookies formed on piece of rolled parchment, I used 2 metal cookie molds sprayed with nonstick spray.
- Once cookies are baked leave them cool completely on your molding support.
- Once cool you can decorate cookies.
- I ended up outlining holly leaves and then using a small brush I spread the icing to coat the cookie. Let the icing dry.
- Ice the base cookies and dove cookies with icing.
- Pipe details onto holly leaves, let dry and then paint with gold luster dust. If you are not familiar with luster dust, visit my Luster Dust Tutorial,look under Wet Application.
- If needed use a template as a guide to pipe the wing on the dove. Let it dry and then paint with luster dust.
- Ice a piece of a holly branch and sprinkle with sparkling sanding sugar.
- Using several support pieces like crumbled plastic wrap or aluminum foil to assemble the centerpiece, using stiff royal icing.
- Don’t forget to attach branch onto the base with icing as well.
- Let dry and enjoy.
|Bake holly leaf branch|
|Decorating holly leaves|
|Using a painter’s brush spread the icing thinly onto the leaves|
|Add details and paint with gold luster dust|
I’m giving most of my centerpieces as gifts to our friends but these 2 I’m keeping. I enjoy looking at them. There is something serene about them.They have a calming nature.