My no-bake Chocolate Banana Icebox Cake is a family favorite. I’ve been making this delicious chocolate dessert for the last decade and it never disappoints. It’s super easy to make and can be made ahead of time.
CHOCOLATE BANANA ICEBOX CAKE
- Whipping Cream / Heavy Cream
- Powdered Sugar
- Vanilla Extract
To make chocolate ganache I used dark chocolate chips. You can either use chocolate chips or chopped chocolate. If using a chocolate bar, chop chocolate into even pieces.
Measure chocolate into a heat proof glass or stainless steel bowl. Heat whipping cream /or heavy cream till bubbles form on the surface. Then pour hot cream over chocolate chips/finely chopped chocolate. Let sit for 5 minutes. Next, whisk cream and chocolate until homogeneous.
If you still find little bits of chocolate on the bottom of the bowl microwave ganache in 5 second increments. Whisking well after each time. Once ganache is smooth cover bowl with a paper towel and a plate. Chill for 4-5 hours.
STABILIZED WHIPPED CREAM
Sprinkle granulated gelatin over cold water and let sit for 5 minutes. Once gelatin is bloomed microwave on high for 8 seconds, stir well until completely dissolved. Let cool to room temperature. Stirring frequently.
Beat cold whipping cream in clean bowl. When loose peaks are formed add powdered sugar. Next, turn up the speed to high and slowly while beating pour in dissolved and cooled gelatin. Lastly, beat in vanilla extract. Beat till soft peaks are formed.
Next step is to make chocolate cream. Whipped ganache on it’s own is delicious but it is a bit heavy to my liking. To lightened it I folded in stabilized whipped cream.
Bring ganache to room temperature. Then with a hand held mixer whip ganache until soft peaks are formed.
Fold Stabilized Whipped Cream into lightly whipped ganache at room temperature. Fold until well combined.
CHOCOLATE BANANA ICEBOX CAKE LAYERING
To mold the cake I used Rehrucken Loaf Pan. You can also use a loaf pan instead.
Line a baking pan with a plastic wrap. Spoon chocolate cream on the bottom. Layer ripe bananas on the chocolate cream. Then add more chocolate cream on top of the bananas. Up to the rim of the baking pan. Give the pan a light tap on the work surface.
Then layer ladyfingers or other biscuits on the top. Push the cookies into the chocolate cream slightly. Cover with a plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight or for up to 2 days before serving. Cake can be stored in the fridge for up to 5 days.
UNMOLD CHOCOLATE BANANA ICEBOX CAKE
Invert Chocolate Banana Icebox Cake onto a serving plate. Remove the baking pan and peel off plastic wrap.
CHOCOLATE PEARL CHOCOLATE SPRINKLES
I used chocolate pearls and chocolate sprinkles to decorate my icebox cake.
To give chocolate pearls lustrous shine I used pearl luster dust. Use dry paint brush and move chocolate pearls around until they are coated with luster dust.
Sprinkle chocolate sprinkles and chocolate pearls onto the unmolded Chocolate Banana dessert.
- Mocha Chocolate – add 1 to 2 tsp espresso powder to hot whipping cream, pour cream over chocolate and prepare ganache as directed in the recipe.
- Chocolate Raspberry – use raspberries in place of bananas.
TO MAKE CHOCOLATE BANANA ICEBOX CAKE YOU NEED
- RECIPE – JUMP TO RECIPE
- Rehrucken Loaf Pan
- Hand Mixer
- Glass Bowl
- Mixing Bowl
- Chocolate Pearls
- Chocolate Sprinkles
- Pearl Luster Dust
- Plastic Wrap
MORE ICEBOX DESSERTS :
Chocolate Banana Icebox Cake
- 3 ripe bananas
- 12 ladyfingers
Chocolate Mousse Cream
- 3/4 cup chocolate chips (dark or semisweet) (if using a chocolate bar, chop it into even pieces)
- 2 and 3/4 cups whipping cream (divided into 2 cups and 3/4 cup)
- 3/4 cup powdered sugar
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 3 tbsp water
- 2 tsp granulated gelatin
- Into a heat proof bowl add chocolate chips (1cup). Heat whipping cream (2cups) till almost boiling. Pour hot whipping cream over chocolate. Let sit for 5 minutes. Then whisk until smooth. If you find stubborn bits of chocolate on the bottom of the bowl microwave mixture in 10 second increment, whisking well after each time, until chocolate is melted and mixture is homogeneous. Cover with a paper towel and a plate and refrigerate for 5 hours.
Chocolate Mousse Cream
- Sprinkle granulated gelatin (2tsp ) over cold water (3tbsp). Let bloom for 5 minutes. Once bloomed gelatin will spongy to the touch. Microwave on high for 8 seconds. Stir well until completely dissolved. Rub the mixture between your finger to see if gelatin is completely dissolved, mixture should be smooth. Stir and let cool to room temperature.
- Bring chocolate ganache to room temperature. Beat with a hand held mixer and wire beaters until soft peaks are formed.
- Pour remaining whipping cream (3/4cup) into clean bowl. Beat whipping cream, gradually add powdered sugar ( 3/4 cup). Next on high speed beat in dissolved and cooled gelatin. Beat in vanilla extract (1tsp). Beat until soft peaks are formed.
- Gradually fold whipping cream into lightly whipped chocolate ganache.
Chocolate Banana Icebox Cake
- Peel 2 bananas, depending on the size you might need 3, but peel 2 first and then if needed peel the 3rd one. Line a baking pan with a plastic wrap. Spoon about 1 cup of chocolate cream into the pan. It should cover the bottom of the pan. Spread it with a spatula. Layer peeled bananas onto the chocolate cream. Then pour more chocolate cream onto the bananas. Up to the top. Smooth the top. Layer ladyfingers on the top. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight and up to 2 days.
Unmold Icebox Cake
- Remove the plastic wrap from the top of the ladyfingers. Invert the cake onto a serving plate dish. Decorate as desired. I use chocolate pearls dusted with pearl luster dust and chocolate sprinkles.
- Store cake in the fridge until ready to serve. Once cake is cut, bananas will be exposed to air, and they will get brown. Cover the cut side with a foil. It keeps well in the fridge for up to 5 days.
PIN IT for later
I updated this post from 2010 with new photos and written step by step instructions.
This post containsThis post contains Amazon affiliate links that earn me a small commission, at no cost to you. I only recommend products that I use and love. Learn more about my affiliate policy here.