It's Wednesday. Time to share another cooking video on my new you tube channel What To Cook Next. This time I made a really healthy dinner or lunch, or hey if you'd like you can even it eat if for breakfast. We've harvested lots of spaghetti squash from the garden, and along with all the peppers tomatoes, onions ... I'm cooking lots of healthy, vegetable based dishes these days.
If you are making this dish for kids I'd recommend that you omit knockwurst and use just ham, it is milder with just a ham and probably more kid friendly. Enjoy.
Spaghetti Squash Casserole
1 large spaghetti squash or 2 small ones
2 peppers(red and green), washed, seeds removed, diced
4oz (about 100grams) turkey ham, cut into squares
1 German Knockwurst, 4.5oz .(about 130grams) or use turkey ham instead
3tbl parsley, chopped
3tbl olive oil
1/2 cup grated cheese, Parmesan or any of you favorite hard cheeses
2garlic cloves, diced
1tsp dry marjoram or oregano
salt and pepper to taste
1/2 cup breadcrumbs, you can use Panko if you have it
- Prepare spaghetti squash: preheat oven to 375F, line baking sheet with aluminum foil. Pierce the squash with a knife, place it on the baking sheet, add about 1 cup water. Pick up both sides of the foil and press together to form a large pocket with squash inside. Bake for about 40-45 minutes, until soft.
- You can also use microwave to cook the squash, do so in a microwave safe dish, on high setting for about 14-16 minutes.
- Leave the oven on at 375F.
- Let the squash cool for couple of minutes, cut it in half, scoop out seeds.
- Take the fork and remove inner flesh.
- Stir spaghetti squash with peppers, ham and/or knockwurst, parsley, cheese, garlic, dry marjoram. Stir, season with salt and pepper. Stir in 1tbl olive oil.
- Coat baking dish with little bit of olive oil or spray with non stick spray.
- Scrape the squash mixture into the baking dish, smooth the top a little.
- Sprinkle breadcrumbs and drizzle 2tbl olive oil on top.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes.
- Let cool for 15 minutes, serve.
- I made this few times already and it is super yummy. You can omit peppers if you don't like them or use only ham if you don't have knockwurst.
- You can make this a day ahead and reheat it in the microwave next day.
Spaghetti Squash Recipe Video