I always have Tilapia in the freezer, I buy it fresh and then usually freeze it. Even tough on most days I enjoy it just with a simple salad, today I thought Pasta. Pasta is good. I used whole wheat elbow pasta but this could work other small shaped pasta as well. Having lots of peppers in the garden, providing me with literally unlimited source, I'm making all kind of dishes, adding peppers to everything I can think of. So far it is working out. At the moment I'm loving Red Peppers, they are so good. So good.
I love their red color, the sweetness and let's not forget they are packed with vitamins. Today I roasted a few and added them to my pasta dish, taking it to a new level of tasty.
Tilapia and Roasted Pepper Cheese Pasta Casserole (Serves 4)
1cup dry small elbow pasta, I use whole wheat kind
1 1/2 cup roasted roasted red pepper, skin removed and then diced. 1- 3 peppers, depends on the size
1 to 2 fish fillets Tilapia
1egg white, beaten until medium stiff peaks are formed
2 cups low fat milk
1/4cup Parmesan cheese
1/4cup Mozzarella cheese
salt and pepper to season
olive oil or pam spray
- Cook the pasta according to directions on the packaging, drain and set aside.
- Roast the Red Peppers: turn on the oven broiler on Low Broil. Wash the peppers, cut them in half, lengthwise, remove the seeds, wash the peppers again if necessary to remove all the seeds. Cut each pepper half in half. Spray the foil with Pam Spray. Transfer peppers onto a aluminum foil or a oven safe dish. Layer peppers in one layer, skin facing up. Place the sheet with peppers under the broiler. Roast on LOW BROIL for 15 minutes. Then increase the heat to High Broil and roast the peppers for 10-15 minutes. You'll notice blisters forming on the peppers, they will blacken, this is normal, just be careful not to burn the whole pepper pieces, if necessary return broiler to low setting. This depends on the oven. Then take the peppers out of the oven, immediately place them into a paper bag and then into a plastic bag, close the bag and let the peppers sit for 20-25 minutes. Then open the bags and take the peppers out, using a small kitchen knife get under the skin and you can start peeling away. Skin should come right off. Dice the pepper.
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Heat 1tsp butter with 1tsp olive oil in a skillet. Season fish with salt and pepper. Cook fish on each side for about 3 minutes or so. Tilapia is cooked fairly quickly so be careful not to overcook it or it will get tough. Remove from the pan and set aside to cool.
- To make the cheese sauce : using the same skillet you used to cook the fish, there should be some fat on the bottom of the pan, if there is none add 1tsp olive oil, then add flour and stir, cook for 1 minute, remove from the heat and gradually start adding milk, mixture fill thicken.
- Remove about 1/2 cup of mixture and whisk in one egg yolk. Return yolk mixture to the pan and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add cheeses and cook until cheese is melted, taste and season with salt and pepper if needed.
- Remove from the heat.
- Break the cooked fish into small pieces.
- In a large bowl combine pasta, fish, red pepper, pour cheese mixture over and stir gently. Fold in the whipped egg white. Taste and season accordingly.
- Pour the mixture into a baking dish that you brushed with olive oil or sprayed with Pam nonstick spray.
- Bake for 25 minutes.
- Enjoy with fresh chopped tomatoes.