Happy Saturday everyone! I hope everyone is having a good week. Today’s post is all about pretty flowers and apple tarts. I think I mentioned once or twice that I like mini desserts, petit fours.
I have several sets of fluted mini tart pans that I like to use, either for sweet or sometime for savory treats, too. Though they take a little effort to make, they are totally worth it. Today I used brioche tart pans to make mini apple tarts.
2cups (300grams) all purpose or pastry flour
3/4cup(90grams) powdered sugar
6tbl (80grams) butter
2 egg yolks or 1 whole egg
1tsp baking powder
pinch of salt
zest from one lemon
1tsp vanilla extract (McCormick Pure Vanilla Extract-16 OZ
2 to3 tbl milk
2 to 3 medium apples, peeled grated
1tsp ground cinnamon
1/2tsp vanilla extract
2 tbl brown sugar, or to taste
juice of 1/2 lemon
- Beat the room temperature butter with powdered sugar, until smooth and creamy, 5 minutes.
- Add egg yolk to the butter and beat until well combined, additional 2 minutes.
- In a small dish combine together 2 tbl milk and vanilla extract. Gradually and on low speed add milk to the butter, beating well after each addition.
- Beat in zest of one lemon.
- In a medium size bowl stir together flour, baking powder and salt.
- Gradually add flour, stirring, if mixture looks dry, you can add additional 1tbl milk.
- Cover work surface with wax paper, scrape the dough onto the wax paper and gather together, press together to form a ball, form a disk and wrap the dough, chill for 30 minutes.
- Prepare Filling : peel and grate apples, add lemon juice, cinnamon, vanilla, and brown sugar. Stir well, taste and if desired add more seasoning, or sugar. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Roll half of the dough between 2 pieces of wax paper, if the dough appears too sticky, dust the surface with some flour, but not too too much. Roll the dough into about 1/8 inch thick. Cut out rounds using a round cookies cutter.
- Layer brioche pans onto an old baking sheet
- Layer bottom of the brioche pans with the pastry dough rounds, press them down slightly to create a cavity for the filling.
- Distribute apple filling evenly among the pans.
- Roll out the remaining dough, cut out round and place the rounds on top of the filling, press down gently.
- Bake for 20 minutes
- Cool in pans for 15 minutes, then unmold, if needed use a knife to loosen the edges or tap the pan onto the counter to release the tart.
- You can now dust these with powdered sugar or if you’d like to you can also decorate them with royal icing. Follow my video tutorial an learn how to decorate these.
You can view how to make Red Poppy Flower Apple Tarts in my video tutorial