I remember I first met Marian on flickr, where she posted her Gingerbread Houses , they really blew me away. Her precision and details on them is really remarkable, I’ve been a fan of her work ever since.
5. You are a Disco Dust Queen, do you have a favorite supplier and color that you like to use the most when decorating your sweets?
Marian : “Definitely rainbow disco dust; it’s kind of clear and can match any design I’m working on. My favorite on-line supplier is Amazon, and my favorite “local“ supplier is the Bonnie Gordon School in Toronto. I’ll make the long drive at least once or twice a year to see what she’s got.”
7. I read health and wellness are really important to you, I always have trouble balancing all the baking, cookie, cupcake making with a healthy diet; do you have any tips on how to safely balance two ?
Marian :”It is difficult, especially when I’m looking at or working with sweets on a regular basis! Being healthy is important to me though, so I’ve found a few things which have helped:
· Always eat breakfast. – Mon-Friday I have oatmeal with fruit, a banana, and on the way to work, peppermint tea. (Or even just hot water. I know, old lady already. Lol).
· Eat every 2-3 hours so that I never get too hungry. If I’m feeling ravenous I’ll eat anything in front of me, especially sweets.
· Try to eat at least 5-7 servings of fruit and veggies every day.
· Drink lots of water
· Eat at least one piece of chocolate per day, or, eat dessert, but eat a smaller portion of it. – Believe me, I don’t have to force myself to do this one. I find that it’s easier for me not to over-indulge if I allow myself to eat what I want.
· If I do make bad food choices don’t beat myself up over it. – Let’s just say, I do get random cravings for the McDonald’s Big Mac and fries. I’m working on making better choices more often, but I don’t deny myself if I really want to eat something. I just try and make good food choices for the most part.
· Get my heart rate up 3-4 times per week – Whether it’s a walk/hiking, snowshoeing, swimming, running (mostly in the warmer months), dancing, yoga, whatever; I find something I like to do to get my exercise in. I aim for at least 3-4 times per week, for a minimum of 20-30 minutes. I really I’d like to do more, but it’s often hard to find a balance with time.
I still haven’t perfected it by any means. Because of the blog especially, I find that I’m sitting on the computer more than I used to, so I definitely need to find ways (or time), to exercise more. A friend and I have signed up for a half marathon in Toronto for this May; I find that giving myself a goal helps me keep motivated and focused.”
9. Is there anything in the Sugar Art World that you are intimidated by?
Marian : “I still feel a bit hesitant about cakes. I’ve taken a few classes and made cakes here and there, but still feel like I need a lot more practice to feel comfortable.”
10. Gift you’ll never forget?
Marian : “A good friend of mine took the time throughout last year to collect all sorts of sweet-related little gifts for me; from cookie Christmas tree ornaments, to cupcake measuring spoons, a pretty cake platter and more. When she gave them all to me last Christmas I was overwhelmed at her thoughtfulness and generosity; so sweet!”