What I love about cake, cookie, cupcake decorating is that each artist brings something different to the plate. The uniqueness of it is what I really enjoy seeing.
When I first stumbled upon Lynette’s work couple of years ago I was truly taken by it. What she brings is fresh and artistic, accented with complimenting colors; her attention to detail and love for the sugar art is shining through what ever she makes.
Her fondant/gumpaste modeling skills are beyond my understanding, I mean, have a look at her work, well done by you Lynette!
Lynette’s work can be viewed on her flickr pages Nice Icing
Website – Nice Icing
Meet Lynette from Nice Icing
1. How did you get into cake/cookie/cupcake business, have you always loved sweets, how long you’ve been decorating?
I’ve always loved anything cake and from an early age I spent many happy hours baking with my mum – especially the bowl licking!
So after becoming a mum myself and having a part time job running a Playschool ( I was a Nursery Nurse in a previous life ) I found I had the time to practice my baking skills and that’s how it all started.
Now 28 years later I’m still practicing!!
Humming Bird Cake
2. It is a such a joy to look through your photos on Flickr, I really admire your ability to color coordinate your sugar artwork.What is your favorite color combination?
I use these colours in cake decorating at any excuse teaming them with pinks , reds and browns for a retro look.
When I first started cake decorating many years ago ( when dinosaurs roamed the earth!! ) there was no internet and very few ‘how to’ books available , so armed with one book (Jane Asher’s party cakes ) and after many mistakes I taught myself the basics of cake decorating.
I still make mistakes but have learnt so much in the last few years thanks to you tube and sites like Flickr.
4.I can’t get over your figurines and decorations, details on them are so well done, it is almost impossible for me to even comprehend how you are able to do it, you make it look so easy. Do you work with gumpaste or clay, both, how long does it take to make, for example a piece like this, and also are these real people in life -?
To get a likeness of the characters I work from photographs that I pin up in my kitchen – it looks like a gallery of suspects in a crime investigation when I make a cake with the full bridal party on !!
Each figure can take more than an hour to make depending on the details and how many attempts at making the head! Faces with ‘ more
character ‘ and distinctive features are the easiest to make.
A top table cake can take about 2 days to make, sometimes working
Through the night!
- a mini rolling pin (Country Kitchen)
- clay modeling tools (11-piece Pottery / Sculpture Tool Set, Clay & Wax Carving Tools
- pizza cutter! ( I have a problem with straight lines!!! ) -Oxo Good Grips 4-Inch Pizza Wheel
8. Your cookies, cupcakes cakes, they all shine with incredible beauty, they are works of art, do you have a preference of which you enjoy working with the most and why?
9. It is your birthday, what kind of cake would you like?
Although I love a decorated cake I am always reluctant to cut them, probably because I know how long they take to make.
so my ideal birthday cake would be a naked carrot cake with passion fruit filling or maybe a storm in a teacup cupcake from me to me!!
10. Best Sweet Moment ?
Little Miss Phoebe & Friends