Freshly grated lemon zest
Freshly squeezed lemon juice
I used Fat free yogurt that has been left to drain overnight in the fridge, you can also use Greek yogurt if like.
Lemon Yogurt Cupcakes(about 16 cupcakes)
- 1 1/2 cups cake flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 cup plain yogurt / I used fat free yogurt, drained overnight/
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 extra-large eggs
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon zest
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 5 tbl of lemon juice
- 1 1/2 to 2 cups cup powdered sugar
- 1/3 cup of freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1/2 stick of butter
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line cupcake pan.
- Sift together the flour, baking powder, and salt into a bowl. set aside.
- In another bowl, whisk together the yogurt, 1 cup sugar, the eggs, lemon zest, 5tbl lemon juice and vanilla. Slowly whisk the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients. With a rubber spatula, fold the vegetable oil into the batter, making sure it’s all incorporated. Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake for about 16 minutes, or until a toothpick placed in the center of a cupcake comes out clean.
- Meanwhile, cook the 1/3 cup lemon juice with butter, just until butter is melted and pour over 1 1/2 to 2 cups of powdered sugar and whisk immediately until nicely smooth. If you it gets too thick you can always reheat it it microwave for a few seconds.
- When the cupcakes are done, allow them to cool in the pan for 5 minutes, then transfer cupcakes onto a cooling and let cool to room temperature
- Using a spoon pour the glaze on the top of the cooled cupcakes
- One day later…they are even better than the first day. Lemon flavor is more intense and they are very moist.